Savory, filling Vegetarian Chili-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes perfect for a weeknight easy family dinner. Tender cooked sweet potatoes filled with warm, spicy vegetarian chili all topped with melty cheddar cheese. A healthy meatless recipe the whole family will love!!!!!
These Vegetarian Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes are literally one of the easiest and most delicious dinner recipes I have ever made. Every fall we cannot wait to make this recipe since it is so full of amazing flavor and in-season ingredients.
Who doesn’t love some hearty chili in the fall? Match that with tender cooked sweet potatoes and you have an inexpensive, simple, healthy meal for the whole family ready in less than 30 minutes.
It can also easily be made to suit any diet whether that’s vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, paleo, or Whole 30. Just swap the cheddar cheese topping with dairy-free cheese and call it a day. Delicious!
So do you know what one of the most nutrient-dense foods in the produce aisle of the grocery store is? You guessed it, Sweet Potatoes!
Yup! Full of key vitamins like vitamin A, B6, and C, Iron, Magnesium and Calcium even. Wow! And they are packed with flavor!
Why you will love this recipe
- It’s easy and simple to make in under 30 minutes!
- Can be adaptable to pretty much any type of diet.
- The elements of this recipe can be made ahead of time, which is great for meal prepping.
- It’s a meatless meal everyone will love.
- Hearty, flavorful and simply one of the best healthy dinners you will want to make all of the time.
My kids and my husband simply loved these Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes and you could even make them in smaller sweet potatoes for the kids and let them go crazy with a chili toppings bar. Friday or Saturday family night in anyone?
These are also great to make for Halloween or as a fun game-day recipe. Plus you would be getting a ton of nutrients into those little people you are raising before you fill them up with candy and popcorn.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
Now, let’s get into how I made these Vegetarian Chili-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
How to make Vegetarian Chili-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Start with the sweet potatoes of course. There are a few ways to cook the sweet potatoes.
- In the Instant Pot which is my preferred method since it is the fastest way plus they come out so tender, fluffy and delicious.
- You can also cook them in the oven and Just roast them at F 425-degrees for 45-60 minutes. Make sure to poke them with a fork to allow the steam to vent while they cook.
- The microwave is also an option but I don’t think they come out as good. If you are cooking them in the microwave then poke them all over with a fork, place them onto a microwave-safe dish, and cook them for about 5-7 minutes, turning each one over halfway through the cooking time. Let them cool for at least 5 minutes before slicing them open.
2. While the sweet potatoes are cooking you can make the chili. Heat up a medium size pan with some oil, add in some diced red onion and bell pepper. Let that cook for a few minutes then add in the minced garlic, salt and pepper, spices and some tomato paste.
3. Cook all of those amazing flavors for 2-3 minutes before adding in the kidney beans, and tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper and bring all of that to a boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add in a little maple syrup for sweetness and the chili is DONE!
4. When the potatoes are finished cooking just slice them down the center, give them a light squeeze to release the tender cooked sweet potato from the skin.
5. Then fill each with the chili and top with some cheddar cheese. Place them onto a baking sheet and bake at 375 F degrees for a few minutes to melt the cheese. Remove and top with chopped scallions, chives, or even a dollop of sour cream or plain greek yogurt.
An easy, hearty, warm meal you can enjoy any day of the week!
Look at those spicy vegetarian chili stuffed sweet potatoes topped with melty cheese. Simple but so good!
Recipe Tips and Variations
- Try to select sweet potatoes that are all similar in size and shape so they cook evenly. You want the sweet potatoes to be brighter orange in color, have little to no indentations or black marks, and firm to the touch.
- Cook the sweet potatoes using any method you prefer. See my suggested cooking methods above in this post. My preferred method is in the Instant Pot if you have one.
- For the chili, you can use red kidney beans or black beans. You can also add in corn to bump up the flavor and texture of the chili.
- If you prefer your chili to be spicier then add in some green chili or jalapeño.
- The chili can be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container.
- The sweet potatoes can also be made ahead and stored in an airtight container for up to 4 days, which is also a great idea for easy meal prepping.
- To make this recipe vegan, use vegan cheese.
- To store: Let them cool completely, place in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven at F 350 degrees or warm up in the microwave for 2-3 minutes in high.
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out.Print