Perfectly, tender roasted sweet potatoes filled with warm, spicy vegetarian chili all topped with melty cheddar cheese. A recipe the whole family will love!!!!!
So do you know what one of the most nutrient-dense foods in the produce aisle of the grocery store is? You guessed it, Sweet Potatoes! Yup! Full of key vitamins like vitamin A, B6, and C, Iron, Magnesium and Calcium even. Wow! And they are DELICIOUS!
The best way to eat sweet potatoes is to bake them and top them with delicious things like chili and cheese. Enter in these Vegetarian ChilI-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
Hearty kidney bean and corn chili with all of it’s spicy, tomato glory stuffed into a perfectly oven-roasted sweet potato and topped with melty cheddar cheese. Yummy! A meal that the whole family will love.
My kids and my husband simply loved these Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes and you could even make them in smaller sweet potatoes for the kids and let them go crazy with a chili toppings bar. Friday or Saturday night family night in anyone?
Plus you would be getting a ton of nutrients into those little people you are raising before you fill them up with candy and popcorn. Score!!!
Now, let’s get into how I made these Vegetarian Chili-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes.
How to make Vegetarian Chili-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Start with the sweet potatoes of course. Just roast them in a 425-degree oven for 45-60 minutes. Make sure to poke them with a fork to allow the steam to vent while they cook.
While the sweet potatoes are cooking you can make the vegetarian chili.
- Heat up a medium size pan with some oil, add in some diced red onion and bell pepper. Let that cook for a few minutes then add in the minced garlic, salt and pepper, spices and some tomato paste.
- Cook all of those amazing flavors for 2-3 minutes before adding in the kidney beans, corn, and tomato sauce.
- Bring all of that to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. Add in a little maple syrup for sweetness and the chili is DONE!
When the potatoes are finished cooking just slice them down the center, give them a light squeeze to release the tender cooked sweet potato from the skin.
Then fill each with the chili, top with some melted cheese and wallah! Vegetarian Chili-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes ready in no time at all and a hearty, warm meal you can enjoy any day of the week!
Omg! Look at that spicy tomato chili topped with melty cheese and all inside a sweet roasted sweet potato. Simple but so good!
Check out this Cheesy Spaghetti Squash Skillet. It has a chili-like taste and the kids devoured it!
Vegetarian Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Baking sheet
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup diced bell pepper I used a combo of red and green bell peppers
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp chili powder or more if you like it really spicy
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups corn I used frozen corn that I simply steamed to cook
- 2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro or parsley
Roast the sweet potatoes
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Using a fork, poke the sweet potatoes all over for venting the steam. Place the sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet and bake in the oven for 45-60 minutes, until a knife can easily be inserted. Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
Make the vegetarian chili
- Heat up a medium-size skillet to medium-high heat with some olive oil on the stovetop. Add in the diced onion and bell pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes.Add in the minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, salt and pepper, and tomato paste. Stir everything together and cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the kidney beans and corn and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Add in the tomato sauce and stir. Sprinkle with more salt and pepper. Bring everything to a boil and then reduce to simmer, add in the maple syrup and simmer on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
Fill the potatoes and melt the cheese
- Slice each sweet potato down the center, squeeze each potato to release the sweet potato away from the skin to make a nice bed for the chili.Fill each potato with some of the chili and top with the cheddar cheese.Place the stuffed sweet potatoes back into the oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.Sprinkle each stuffed sweet potato with the chopped herbs. Plate and ENJOY