These easy sheet pan vegetarian fajitas are customizable, can be made in 20 minutes and they are loaded with crazy good flavor. My family loves them and I love them too since I can easily whip them up on a busy weeknight.
This fajita recipe is made with lots of veggies like bell peppers, onions and mushrooms. They are flavored with an epic homemade fajita seasoning that really takes them to a whole new level. Mix in some simmered black beans and it is one incredible meal!
Why you will love this fajita recipe
- Quick and easy to make – it only takes 20 minutes
- Vegetarian and gluten free – so everyone can enjoy it!
- Packed with flavor – lots of great Mexican spices like chili powder, garlic and paprika
- Healthy dinner – this recipe is the perfect healthy dinner even your kids will love
Ingredients for vegetarian fajitas
- Bell peppers – I used a mix of red, green and yellow for color and flavor
- Portobello mushrooms – used pre-sliced or clean and slice your own
- Red onion – sliced
- Black beans – canned, low-sodium is best
- Fajita seasoning – used homemade or store-bought
- Vegetable stock – low-sodium us best so you can control the salt
- Avocado oil – you can also use coconut oil or even olive oil
How to make this vegetarian fajitas recipe
- Season the veggies – Add the mushrooms, peppers and onions to a large bowl. Drizzle them with avocado oil and season with the fajita seasoning. Toss to coat.
- Cook the veggies – Spread the seasoned fajita veggies onto a lined baking sheet and bake them in the oven at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes.
- Season and simmer the black beans – while the veggies are cooking, simmer the black beans over medium heat with some vegetable stock and more fajita seasoning.
- Assemble and serve the fajitas – Remove the cooked veggies from the oven and serve with the black beans and your favorite vegetarian fajita fixings.
Topping ideas for vegetarian fajitas
Here are a few delicious topping ideas for these amazing sheet pan fajitas.
- Mashed avocado or guacamole
- Tomato salsa
- Sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Ways to serve fajitas
We love to serve these vegetarian fajitas in a bowl with all the toppings like salsa and avocado with a sprinkle of lime juice. You can also serve them fajita-style with charred corn or flour tortillas topped with your favorite fajita toppings. My kids really like to add a side of tortillas chips as well for that full-on Mexican style meal.
Recipe tips and variations
- Clean the mushrooms easily by gently wiping them with a clean damp towel. Then slice them into strips that are about 1/4 inch thick.
- Slice the onions and peppers thin to make it easier to cook them faster.
- Add in other veggies like roasted cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, or tomatoes.
- Add some additional protein to these fajitas like some crispy tofu, chickpeas, or pinto beans
- Make ahead – You can slice the veggies ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days before you use them.
More delicious vegetarian recipes
- Healthy Black Bean Burgers
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl
- Baked Eggplant Meatballs
- Crispy Air Fryer Falafel
Did you try this vegetarian fajitas recipe? If you did then please leave a comment and rating below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!
This recipe and post have been updated with better step by step and finished photos as well as an enhanced recipe card.Print