Portobello Mushroom Parmesan! So good and so easy to make! Crispy breaded hearty portobello mushrooms topped with tomato sauce and melty cheese. A recipe even meat lovers will enjoy!
Portobello Mushroom Parmesan! OMG! Are you ready for this? It is so good and so super easy to make. My inspiration for this recipe was my Husband who LOVES Chicken Parmesan. I was determined to create a vegetarian version for him and I believe this is the perfect recipe.
Great for a Healthy Main Dish or Family dinner night!
Hearty portobello mushroom caps sliced and dredged in an incredible breadcrumb coating then lightly fried and baked until super, crazy crispy. This is now the most requested recipe by my family so there you go!
You may also low these air fryer mushrooms that are also so good and easy to make!
Why you will love this recipe
- Easy to make in only a few easy steps.
- Possibly better than some chicken parmesan recipes I have made
- Crispy breaded meaty portobello mushrooms, enough said!
- A meatless meal anyone will love, even kids!
- Stores great and is so good for a delicious lunch or dinner.
Are Portobello Mushrooms Good for you?
Yes, they are and they are absolutely DELICIOUS! Here are some wonderful bonuses of eating these beauties.
- Plant-based protein
- Vitamin B
Can you eat portobello mushrooms raw?
You can eat them raw but the recommendation is to always eat any type of mushrooms cooked vs. raw since raw mushrooms contain toxic carcinogens. Due to their tough exterior, raw mushrooms are also tougher to digest. Plus cooked mushrooms are so good and bring out their flavor so please always cook your mushrooms rather than eating them raw.
You can read more about portobello mushrooms here.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
How to make Portobello Mushroom Parmesan
- First, you need to clean the mushrooms. To clean portobello mushrooms: Use a damp paper towel or clean kitchen towel and lightly wipe the outside to get all of the dirt off. Remove the stem simply by pulling it off gently and then scrape the gills off of the bottom of the mushroom using a spoon.
- Once they are clean, place them into a bowl and drizzle them with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Let them hang out for a few minutes to break them down. The combo of lemon juice and salt will help them become softer and more pliable and easier to work with.
- Then slice. them in half, if they are thicker mushrooms so they are slightly thinner and will cook faster.
- Set up a dredging station with flour. egg, then the breadcrumb mixture and then dredge each mushroom cap in the flour, then eggs, then the breadcrumbs and place them onto a plate or dish.
- Heat up a pan with some olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the breaded mushrooms caps to the pan and cook until crispy golden brown on each side. About 2-3 minutes per side.
- Place each crispy browned mushroom onto a baking sheet with a baking rack on top, spread some tomato sauce onto each mushroom, tops with some shredded parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Brown in a 375-degree oven for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Top with a sprinkle of chopped parsley or basil and serve warm.
Then tap into your willpower and try not to eat every single bite! So good! Perfect for a fun date night.
Recipe tips and variations
- Try to choose mushroom caps that are relatively the same size so they cook evenly at the same time.
- If the mushrooms you have are on the smaller, thinner side then you don’t need to slice them in half before dredging them.
- If you don’t have any butter crackers for the breadcrumb mixture, then you can leave them out or replace them with another type of cracker or even pulsed corn flakes.
- For a vegan version use dairy-free parmesan and mozzarella.
- You can shallow fry these in olive oil or avocado oil.
- To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free breadcrumbs and gluten-free flour.
- These store great in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat, cook them at 375-degrees in the oven for 7-8 minutes.
- Top it with a Simple Homemade San Marzano Tomato Sauce!
I hope you try this recipe. If you do, then please leave a rating and comment below.