I LOVE healthy food! That is probably obvious but I just wanted to start off with that since that is why I get so EXCITED about butternut squash. One of my favorite ways to eat it is mashed and this is the BEST Mashed Butternut Squash recipe EVER! It has all of the bells and whistles you would want this dish to have! Fluffy, perfectly cooked butternut squash, creamy, buttery flavor touched with some fresh parsley and a trio of spices that fit just right. I am OBSESSED with this!
Things I LOVE about this dish:
- The incredible taste of the squash and it mashes so well
- Good for you! Full of great nutrients:
- Vitamin A, B-6, C
- Low-calorie (BONUS)
- Beautiful color (the whole we eat with our eyes thing)
- Easy to make
I could go on but I will spare you and stop there. My three-year old actually ate this so I am putting this on the list of the “Healthy” foods I can get him to eat right now. This would make a great snack since it is filing due to the fiber and water content of the squash. Yay!
First step: Buy a butternut squash. Very inexpensive right now since it’s in season.
Next, you want to peel and dice it. It sounds intimidating but it is easy and only takes a few minutes. Once it’s diced, place it into a pot, cover it with water and bring it to a boil.
Let it boil for 1-2 minutes then place a lid on it and simmer it for about 5-10 minutes, until it is fork tender (mashable like potatoes).
Finally add in the butter (I used vegan butter), parmesan cheese and that trio of spices I mentioned earlier (garlic powder, chili powder and nutmeg). Mmmmmmm….. Add in some freshly chopped parsley and it is just pure MAGIC!
- 4 cups butternut squash, diced
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter (or regular butter)
- 2 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or less if you don't like spicy)
- dash of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place diced butternut squash in medium size sauce pan, fill it with water until all of the squash is submerged.
- Cook it stovetop until it comes to a boil, let it boil for 1-2 minutes then reduce the heat to simmer and simmer for 5-10 minutes until it is fork tender (Mashable)
- Remove from heat and drain.
- Add the butter to the same pot and then add in the cooked squash. Add in the rest of the ingredients except the parsley and mash to desired texture.
- Fold in the parsley. Serve and enjoy!!
Vegan option: Use vegan butter.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 68 Total Fat: 2.2g Saturated Fat: 1.3g Cholesterol: 6mg Sodium: 94mg Carbohydrates: 9.2g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 1.9g Protein: 3.3g