This super easy and fresh tomato salsa recipe is so good and can be ready in 10 minutes or less. Made with sweet vibrant tomatoes blended with herby, clean cilantro, crunchy red onion, spicy chilies, honey, salt and pepper. Healthy, light and the perfect dip with tortilla chips or topping on eggs, chicken or fish. A super simple vegan and gluten free recipe!
My family is obsessed with taco nights and this easy fresh tomato salsa recipe has been a staple for us at least weekly. The best part of all is you can make it ahead and store it for up to a week. Vibrant, chunky, packed with flavor and basically the best homemade salsa recipe you will ever make.
It can be ready in 10 minutes or less and is made with a trio of sweet, fresh tomatoes, herby cilantro, crunchy red onions, spicy green chilies, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Blended until slightly chunky or smooth, whatever you prefer and literally the best healthy dip or topping on fish, chicken or even eggs.
This is certainly a close second to this Spicy Mango Salsa which I also make often and is a family favorite.
Why you will love this recipe
- It’s very easy to make in less than 10 minutes
- This recipe only uses fresh tomatoes and no canned tomatoes
- Literally the best salsa flavors ever!
- You can customize it and make it chunky or smooth
- It is already vegan and gluten free!
- Perfect meal prep recipe!
Ingredients needed to make this fresh tomato salsa recipe
How To Make homemade salsa with fresh tomatoes
- Prep the tomatoes. If you are using tomatoes that have seeds then you will want to remove them. If you are using cherry tomatoes then you do not need to remove the seeds. To clean tomatoes all you need to do is slice each one in half, lengthwise, trim off the end and scrape the seeds out with a spoon. Then simply slice them.
- Blend the salsa. Add the chopped tomatoes, red onion, green chilies, cilantro, garlic, honey, salt and pepper to the bowl of a food processor or high speed blender and blend on high until desired consistency is achieved. I like my salsa chunky so I blended it for about 15 seconds.
- Serve. Pour the salsa into a bowl and serve it with your favorite tortilla chips.
How super easy is that? Plus the kids will love it since they get to dip chips into it and you feel great because they are eating veggies, ha ha. My kids prefer this salsa over store-bought and sometimes I even use it as a sauce on their pizza!
Oh, and it tastes just like restaurant- style salsa, which is a huge added bonus!
What if I Don’t own a food processor?
No food processor, no problem. This fresh tomato salsa recipe can also be made in the blender. Just add the ingredients to a blender and blend on high until the ingredients are fully combined into a nice chunky or smooth salsa.
How long will this salsa last?
This salsa should last for up to a week if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Tips for making the best fresh tomato salsa
- Use high quality ingredients since there are only a few and the better produce you use the better the color and flavours you will get.
- Clean the seeds out of the tomatoes. This is an important step if you do not want a super watery salsa. If you are using cherry tomatoes then the seeds do not need to be cleaned out since they do not have as much water as larger tomatoes.
- Use a variety of tomatoes. I use a combination of vine tomatoes, Roma tomatoes and sweet cherry tomatoes and it was just heavenly.
What to serve with this recipe
Salsa can be paired with so many other things. Here are some of my favorites.
- Add it on top of a salad like this Chicken Taco Salad.
- Use it as a topping on this Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Breast or this Healthy Turkey Burger.
- Enjoy it with some eggs like these Veggie Egg White Bites or these Sausage and Pepper Egg Muffins.
Other healthy dips you may also enjoy!
- Easy 5 Minute Romesco Sauce
- 5 Minute Creamy Green Goddess Dressing
- Simple Roasted Beet Pesto
- Easy Homemade Lemon Basil Pesto Sauce
- Use any kind of tomatoes you like in this recipe. You can even use green tomatoes.
- Switch up the herbs and add in some parsley or basil.
- Use white onion, yellow onion or shallots in place of the red onion.
- To make this recipe fully vegan, use maple syrup, or coconut sugar in place of the honey.
- To make this recipe sugar free, use sugar free maple syrup or stevia as the sweetener in this recipe.
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below.Print