These homemade air fryer egg rolls are for anybody that loves egg rolls but is not a fan of the oil and frying. This healthier version is made in the air fryer with almost no extra oil or deep frying required. Giving you an egg roll with a crazy crispy outer layer and a perfectly tender and juicy center. It’s kind of amazing!
I LOVE EGG ROLLS! Okay, there I said it. It is by far one of my favorite foods except, I do not like the fact that at most take-out places they are fried. I know that is how you make a traditional egg roll but why can’t I have a healthier, lighter version that I can enjoy without all of that extra fat?
Air fryer to the rescue once again! This homemade egg roll recipe is actually better then take-out. Trust me! My family loves these and they devour the entire batch every time I make them. Why? They get just as crispy on the outside and tender on the inside without having to deep fry them in a pool of oil.
Oh and don’t worry if you don’t have an air fryer. You can also make these egg rolls in the oven. It takes a little bit longer for them to get nice and crispy but it totally works as well.
Ingredients needed to make crispy air fryer egg rolls
How to make egg rolls in the air fryer
- Make the filling. Heat up a large pan or wok with olive oil and stir in the ginger and garlic paste. Then add in the mushrooms and scallions. Toss and cook until the mushrooms are soft. Then add in the slaw and toss and cook for a few more minutes. Move the veggies to the side of the pan then add the ground turkey along with the Tamari, fish sauce and sesame oil. Toss and cook that all together until the meat is no longer pink. Set aside to cool.
- Assemble the egg rolls. Lay out an egg roll wrapper on a flat surface with one corner towards you. Dip your finger in water and run it around the edges. Add 1-2 tablespoons of filling in the lower half of the wrapper and fold the corner closest to you over the filling. Continue to roll the wrapper away from you until you reach the edge, then fold and seal the ends (see the photos below on how I did it). Continue assembling the egg rolls until you have used all of the filling. This recipe makes 12-14 egg rolls.
- Air Fry: Preheat the air fryer (if needed) to 400 degrees F. Once it is ready, spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray and place the egg rolls in a single layer (not overlapping) into the air fryer basket. Spray them all with more olive oil spray. Close and cook for 6 minutes. Then flip them over, spray them with more olive oil spray and cook them for 4-5 more minutes. You may nee to do this in batches.
- Serve: Enjoy warm with your favorite dipping sauce. See dipping sauce suggestions below.
Why cook egg rolls in the air fryer?
First of all the air fryer is amazing! There I said it! Second, cooking foods like egg rolls that are normally fried, in the air fryer makes them much healthier and better for you. Also, by making these in the air fryer, you get super crispy egg rolls that are perfectly cooked and it requires much, much less oil and no frying at all!
If that doesn’t convince you then how about the fact that it only takes about 10-12 minutes to make them and no heating up the oven required?
Dipping sauce suggestions
There are two types of dipping sauces that I love with egg rolls. Duck sauce, which you can buy at most grocery stores or Tamari/soy sauce.
I am sure there are other sauces that work but in my “healthy foodie” opinion, these two are the best options.
Make ahead and freezing tips
You can easily assemble and freeze these air fryer egg rolls so you have them ready for a super quick meal in minutes!
- Assemble the egg rolls and place them about 1- inch apart in a single layer onto a clean baking sheet. Cover them with foil or plastic wrap and place them into the freezer for about an hour.
- Remove them and transfer them to a freezer-friendly container or bag and place them back into the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To cook from frozen, remove them from the freezer and let them sit on the counter for 20 minutes. Preheat and cook in the air fryer as directed in the recipe.
Tips for making the best healthy air fryer egg rolls
- Use good quality ingredients like grass-fed meat, organic veggies and good egg roll wrappers (Like Nasoya).
- Don’t skip the fish sauce! This is the umami ingredient that really ties all of the flavors together.
- While you are assembling the egg rolls, keep the assembled ones on a clean plate covered with a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying out.
- Male sure not to overfill the egg rolls or they may crack. I used about 1-2 tablespoons of the egg roll filling in each one and it was the perfect amount.
- Roll and seal them pretty tightly so they don’t break open while cooking.
- Spray them with olive oil spray before and during cooking. This will get them super crispy and is still so much less oil than frying.
Can you make these egg rolls in the oven?
Yes! You can absolutely make these in the oven. To make them in the oven, place the assembled egg rolls onto a sprayed baking sheet in a single layer (no overlapping) and spray them all over with olive oil spray. Bake them at 425 degrees F for 15-17 minutes.
Expert tip: I recommend flipping them over halfway and spraying them with more olive oil spray so they get super crispy on all sides.
More healthy air fryer recipes to try!
- Easy Air Fryer Turkey Zucchini Meatballs
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- 10 Minute Air Fryer Cajun Salmon
- Air Fryer Ground Chicken Meatballs
- Juicy Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram @pinchmegoodfood so I can see your creation.Print