Healthy baked sweet potato black bean tacos that you must try! Flavor packed black beans mixed with crispy roasted sweet potato piled into corn tortillas and topped with a creamy avocado lime sauce and pickled red onion. Gluten-free with a vegan option. A great healthy main dish everyone will love!
I love tacos, like most of us do but I get tired of the same old ground meat mixed with taco seasoning filing. To change things up a bit, I created these vegetarian Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos that are perfect for your next Taco Tuesday family dinner.
There is just something amazing about the combination of sweet potatoes and black beans. I am not sure why but making anything with this combo always comes out great! Like in this sweet potato buddha bowl with black beans that my family is obsessed with.
These tacos are so delicious, packed with flavor and are super easy to make!
Why you will love this recipe
- Healthy and easy to pull together in under 30 minutes.
- Gluten-Free, Vegetarian and also adaptable to a Vegan version
- Crispy roasted sweet potatoes and black beans, hello perfect combo!
- Perfect for family dinners or entertaining!
- Easy meal prep recipe to have on hand all week long!
Ingredients needed to make these sweet potato black bean tacos
How to make sweet potato black bean tacos
- Cook the sweet potatoes: Dice the sweet potatoes into 1-inch size cubes, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the diced sweet potatoes onto the baking sheet, drizzle with some olive oil, spices, salt, and pepper and toss to coat.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the edges are crispy and the sweet potatoes are nice and tender.
- Cook the onions and black beans: Sauté the onion in some olive oil, then add in the garlic. Cook for one minute then add in the black beans, taco seasoning, and veggie stock.
- Bring all of that to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for a few minutes.
- Make the avocado lime sauce: place all ingredients (see below) into a blender and blend on high for 30-60 seconds.
- Char the corn tortillas over a flame on the stovetop or in a pan heated to medium heat. About 20 seconds per side.
- Build the tacos: Place some of the black beans and sweet potato into the corn tortillas, top with the avocado lime sauce and some pickled red onions, or just sliced red onion.
The avocado lime sauce is optional but so necessary. It really brings these tacos to a whole new level of flavor.
Ingredients to make avocado lime sauce
To make the sauce, add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high until a creamy, thick sauce forms.
My favorite part, build the tacos. So good!
These tacos are so amazing! M y family loved them and I hope you do too!
Recipe Tips and Variations
- You can use sweet potato or butternut squash or even acorn squash in this recipe.
- To keep this recipe super simple I used canned black beans but you could use your own cooked black beans if you have them on hand.
- To make this vegan: Swap the honey with maple syrup or agave. Swap the greek yogurt in the sauce with vegan greek yogurt.
- You can also cook the sweet potatoes in the air-fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 390 degrees, season the diced sweet potatoes as noted in the recipe. Spray the air-fryer basket with cooking spray, add the seasoned sweet potatoes to the air-fryer basket, close, and cook for 15-20 minutes shaking the basket halfway through the cooking time.
- To make ahead: Cook the sweet potatoes and black beans, store them in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 4 days. You can also make the sauce ahead and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-3 days. When ready to eat, just heat everything up, char the tortillas and enjoy!
I hope your try this recipe! If you do, then please leave a comment and rating below.Print