These Gluten Free Zucchini Muffins are the best you will ever make! They turn out perfectly light, fluffy, and wonderfully moist every time!
If you are looking for a mouthwatering gluten free zucchini muffins recipe that’s both easy and incredibly delicious, then look no further! I’ve put this zucchini muffins recipe to the test over eight times to ensure it’s absolutely perfect. In this post, I’ll walk you through the simple steps to create flawless healthy zucchini muffins every single time.
These delectable gluten-free treats are ideal for zucchini season or whenever you’re in the mood for that irresistible blend of warmth and sweetness found in zucchini bread or zucchini cake. Get ready to satisfy your cravings with these incredible muffins.
ARE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS HEALTHY?
Yes! Zucchini muffins can be healthy as long as you don’t load them up with unhealthy ingredients like loads of butter and sugar. Here are a few reasons why this MUFFIN recipe is HEALTHY!
- These muffins are nutritious and flavorful thanks to all of that zucchini!
- This recipe contains no refined sugar or refined flour!
- Instead of white flour, this recipe utilizes almond flour and oats, reducing carb content and making the muffins gluten-free. A win-win situation!
- Thanks to the shredded zucchini, these muffins stay wonderfully moist without any butter or oil.
- They offer a wealth of nutrients such as fiber, protein, and vitamin C, making them a wholesome choice.
HOW DO YOU GRATE ZUCCHINI FOR MUFFINS?
Wondering how to grate zucchini perfectly for those delicious, moist, and fluffy muffins? Here are some handy tips to ensure zucchini grating success:
- Embrace the Peel: When grating zucchini, you can leave the peel intact. This not only saves time but also adds a beautiful green-marbled appearance to your muffins. It’s a delightful visual treat!
- Retain the Moisture: Resist the urge to squeeze out the water from the zucchini. The natural moisture within the zucchini is the secret ingredient that contributes to the incredibly moist and fluffy texture of these muffins. Trust me, it’s pure magic!
- Choose the Right Tools: Opt for a box grater with a larger grate side for quick and easy zucchini grating. It should take you less than a minute to grate the zucchini effortlessly. Alternatively, a food processor can also shred the zucchini with ease.
*Find the full list of recipe ingredients and instructions in the recipe card located at the bottom of this post.
Ingredients and Substitutions
Let’s dive into the simple list of ingredients needed for this delightful muffin recipe:
- Zucchini: Approximately 1 medium-sized grated zucchini. Fresh zucchini is the essential star ingredient in this recipe.
- Oats: I recommend using gluten-free, organic oats for a wholesome touch.
- Almond flour: For the best results, opt for fine, blanched almond flour. If needed, you can substitute it with gluten-free all-purpose flour or any suitable gluten-free flour blend.
- Almond butter: Creamy, organic almond butter adds a luscious nutty flavor. If necessary, you can substitute it with sun butter for a nut-free version.
- Egg: A single large egg plays a crucial role in binding the ingredients together.
- Maple syrup: To impart a touch of natural sweetness to the muffins, a dash of maple syrup does the trick.
- Vanilla extract: Pure vanilla extract enhances the overall flavor profile of the muffins.
- Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon brings a delightful and aromatic twist to this muffin recipe.
- Baking powder: Gluten-free baking powder ensures a light and fluffy texture.
- Kosher salt: A pinch of kosher salt works wonders by enhancing all the other flavors in these delectable muffins.
How to make gluten free zucchini muffins
Get ready to whip up a batch of delicious and healthy zucchini muffins with these simple steps:
- Grate the zucchini: Start by shredding about 1 cup of zucchini. You can use a box grater, hand grater, or food processor for this task as noted above.
- Mix the dry ingredients: Grab a medium-sized mixing bowl and combine all the dry ingredients, ensuring they are well mixed.
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a separate mixing bowl, combine the wet ingredients.
- Combine it all: Now, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring well until a smooth batter forms. Fold in the shredded zucchini and oats for that extra touch.
- Fill and bake: Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin by lightly spraying 10 cavities. Evenly divide the batter among the 10 cups, filling them approximately ¾ of the way full. Bake at 400 degrees F for 16-18 minutes until the edges and top turn a beautiful golden brown.
- Serve and enjoy: Allow the healthy zucchini muffins to cool for a few minutes. Serve them with a delightful pat of butter or almond butter and a drizzle of honey. Pure yumminess awaits!
- For a nut-free version, substitute the almond butter with sun butter or even a mashed banana. Enjoy the same delightful flavors without any nuts.
- Amp up the vibrancy and nutrition by adding ¾ cup of shredded zucchini and ¼ cup of shredded carrots. This combination adds a burst of color and bulk to the recipe. Alternatively, you can incorporate a bit of shredded apple for a delightful twist.
- Enhance the texture and flavor by adding chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts. Enjoy the satisfying crunch in every bite.
- Treat the kids (and yourself!) by sprinkling in some mini chocolate chips for chocolate chip zucchini muffins. It’s a surefire way to infuse the muffins with a hint of irresistible chocolate goodness.
- Replace the egg with a flax egg to make these healthy zucchini muffins vegan.
- If you prefer an alternative to maple syrup, feel free to use coconut sugar or honey as a substitute. Tailor the sweetness to your liking.
Do I need to squeeze out the water from the zucchini?
No, there’s no need to squeeze out the water from the zucchini. In fact, the extra water content in the zucchini helps to keep these muffins incredibly moist, even on the following day.
Is it necessary to peel the zucchini before shredding it?
No, there’s no need to peel the zucchini. The zucchini skin not only adds valuable nutrition but also contributes to the lovely color of the muffins.
Why are my zucchini muffins dry?
If you follow this recipe, your muffins should not turn out dry at all. However, if you experience dryness, it could be due to squeezing out the water from the zucchini, which is unnecessary. Additionally, overcooking the muffins can also lead to dryness.
Can you freeze gluten-free zucchini muffins?
Absolutely! Gluten-free zucchini muffins can be frozen to enjoy at a later time. Here’s how you can freeze them:
- Allow the muffins to cool completely after baking.
- Individually wrap each muffin tightly in plastic wrap or place them in separate airtight freezer bags.
- Label the muffins with the date and contents for easy identification.
- Place the wrapped or bagged muffins in a freezer-safe container or freezer storage bag.
- Ensure the container or bag is sealed properly to prevent freezer burn.
- Place the container or bag in the freezer and store for up to 3 months.
More healthy zucchini recipes
- Easy Air Fryer Turkey Zucchini Meatballs
- Best Healthy Shrimp Scampi With Zoodles
- 15 Minute Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
- Air Fryer Zucchini
- Healthy Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Air Fryer Zucchini Patties
Other Gluten Free Recipes
- Air Fryer Mini Bagels
- Healthy Brownies
- Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
- Monster Cookie Energy Balls
- Gluten Free Berry Crisp
Did you try this gluten free zucchini muffins recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print