This Instant Pot Turkey Chili makes the best healthy comfort food recipe to enjoy in the fall and winter. It is loaded with protein and fiber and cooks in the pressure cooker in less than 20 minutes! The flavor is so amazing that it tastes like it has been slow-cooking all day long.
This incredible instant pot turkey chili comes together so quickly yet tastes as if you have been slaving over the stove cooking it all day long! It is so wonderfully flavorful and packed with protein. It has a subtle spicy kick that even the kids will love!
Try this low-carb turkey chili for a bean-free chili that also cooks quickly and is loaded with fantastic flavor.
The best part about this chili recipe is that you can easily customize it so everyone, even the kids can enjoy it! Plus this chili is healthier since we swapped ground beef with lean ground turkey, reducing some of the fat and calories while keeping all the tasty and delicious flavors.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Healthy – packed with protein and fiber all in one bowl! Plus it is lower in fat than traditional chili.
- Quick and easy – you can make it in 20 minutes!
- Made in one pot – this is an Instant Pot recipe so only one pot to clean.
- Packed with flavor – the flavors are marvelous and filled with smokey mixed in with a little kick of spice.
- Great for topping – top it with shredded cheese, diced avocado, sour cream, chives, and lime.
- Stores and reheats great – perfect for meal prep or just enjoying leftovers.
Why cook chili in the Instant Pot?
It makes sense to cook recipes like soups and chilis in the instant pot simply because you still get all of that slow-simmered flavor but in much less time. You can just pop everything into the pot, cover it, set it to cook, and walk away. Of course, always stay close by when you have something cooking but there is no constant stirring or watching the chili because the Instant Pot does all of the work for you. It’s AMAZING!
It is very similar to the texture of this one pot pumpkin chili that we are also loving for fall!
Ingredients you will need
- Lean ground turkey – I recommend 93/7 ground turkey for the best flavor in this recipe. Plus, the meat needs a little bit of fat since we are pressure-cooking the chili. You can also use ground beef.
- Veggies – bell peppers, corn, onion. You can use frozen or fresh but I think that fresh veggies just have more flavor. Canned corn will also work great!
- Beans – I used a combination of black beans and pinto chili beans for the incredible punch of flavor and added protein and fiber. Kidney beans would also work fine.
- Tomatoes – fire-roasted diced tomatoes and tomato paste add so much incredible tomato essence and texture to this chili.
- Chicken stock – low sodium chicken stock is best but any will work!
- Red enchilada sauce – adds a nice zesty, spicy kick to the chili. Homemade or store-bought is fine.
- Spices – chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil to help brown the turkey and add some incredible flavor.
How to make turkey chili in the instant pot
*Be sure to check out the complete list of recipe ingredients and instructions in the recipe card at the end of this post.
- Sauté the veggies. Set the Instant Pot to the “sauté‘” setting, and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the bottom of the pot. Once it is hot add in the diced onion and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper, toss and let cook for a few minutes until the veggies are nice and soft and the onions are translucent. Add the tomato paste and stir it in to wake up all of that great flavor.
- Mix up the chili seasoning. Add all of the seasonings to a small bowl with some salt and pepper and mix well to combine. Add the spice mix to the pot with the veggies along with the minced garlic, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Brown the turkey. Add the ground turkey to the pot and cook it until it is no longer pink and slightly browned.
- Add corn, beans, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, and stock.
- Stir that all together and season everything with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Secure the lid to the Instant Pot and make sure the release valve is set to the “sealing” position. Set the pot to the “chili/meat stew” setting for 18 minutes. It will take a few minutes to heat up and then about another 10 minutes for the steam to release after it is done cooking. You can also do a manual release if your Instant Pot doesn’t do it automatically.
Ladle the chili into bowls and top it with your favorite toppings, literally the best part!
I love this chili so much! My husband and I ate it for dinner and could not wait to enjoy it again for lunch the next day. It is one of those recipes that when it is all gone you are super disappointed and just have to make it again.
Seriously though, it really is crazy amazing!
Tips for making instant pot turkey chili
- Make it in an Instant Pot or slow cooker. Using one of these methods allows the chili to cook much faster but still gives you all of that amazing flavor you would get from cooking it on the stove for hours. Also if you do not own an Instant Pot or slow cooker, you should, they are incredible tools to have in the kitchen for making quick, tasty meals.
- Use good quality ingredients. So important in chili especially since you can really taste all of the flavors and textures. I used organic, lean ground turkey meat, organic, low-sodium beans, enchilada sauce, stock, and diced tomatoes. I like to use low sodium so I can control the salt in my food.
- Mix up the homemade chili seasoning before adding it to the pot. Mixing up the spices before adding them allows for a more even balance of flavor in the chili and in most recipes for that matter.
- Season the chili well with salt and pepper to your taste. Do not forget to use salt and pepper in this recipe since it has a lot of liquids and needs seasoning to blend it all together nicely.
- Use all of the toppings! I love topping my chili with a squeeze of lime, sour cream, cilantro, and shredded cheddar cheese and then adding in a few tortilla chips. The best part of enjoying chili. So good!
Is turkey chili healthy?
Yes, it is! This turkey chili is made with lean ground turkey, beans, fresh veggies and low-sodium stock, and diced tomatoes so it is packed with protein, low in fat and so tasty that nobody will believe that it is healthy!
Just don’t go overboard on the chips and toppings and it will be a great healthy meal option any day of the week.
Can I make this recipe in the slow cooker?
Yes, you can! To make this chili in the slow cooker: follow the instructions until cooking the chili. Secure the lid to your slow cooker and set it for 3-5 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
Can I cook this chili on the stovetop?
Yes, you can! Follow the recipe but use a large pot or Dutch oven. After adding chili ingredients, bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 25 minutes. Taste, adjust seasoning if necessary, and serve.
- Toppings: Serve this chili with all of the best fixings like sour cream or plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, diced avocado, lime, cilantro, and of course, tortilla chips!
- Use it in other recipes: you can serve it stuffed inside a baked sweet potato as we did with these chili-stuffed sweet potatoes or make a great breakfast topped with a fried egg!
- Serve it as a side dish or appetizer: My family loves it piled on top of some homemade crispy french fries or piled in between some warm biscuits. Of course, some warm naan bread would also be great as a side with this chili!
Storing, freezing, and reheating chili
- Storing: You can transfer the chili, once it is cooled to an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also freeze this chili for up to 2 months in a freezer-friendly container.
- Thawing frozen chili: Defrost frozen chili in the fridge overnight then reheat it as noted below.
- Reheating: You can easily reheat portions in the microwave or on the stovetop in a pot until warmed through.
Other Instant Pot recipes
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup
- Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
More ground turkey recipes
- Amazing Healthy Turkey Burger
- 10 Minute Healthy Turkey Meatballs – Air Fryer Recipe
- Healthy Veggie Turkey Meatloaf
- Turkey Zucchini Meatballls
Did you try this instant pot turkey chili recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how it turned out!Print