This light and healthy cream cheese frosting is Greek yogurt-based and is so delicious and easy to make. It goes great on cakes, cookies, or used as a fun dip for fruit. You can make it in about 5 minutes and easily store it for up to 3 days.
This lighter and healthier cream cheese frosting still has cream cheese in it but it is lower in sugar and contains some protein and nutrition from the Greek yogurt. So, while it is an indulgent addition to a healthy dessert, like cake, it is still much healthier than traditional cream cheese frosting.
Of course my favorite way to use this healthy frosting is on a nice fluffy piece of carrot cake.
This easy frosting recipe is made with cream cheese, Greek yogurt, vanilla, a hint of lemon and maple syrup, making is refined sugar free and naturally GLUTEN FREE!
Best method to soften cream cheese
- Unwrap or scoop out the cream cheese from its container or packaging and place it into a bowl or on a plate and let it sit at room temperature for about 60 minutes.
- To soften it more quickly, you can remove it from the packaging and place it into a bowl or on a plate and microwave it for 15 -20 seconds. It should soften right up.
Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- Greek yogurt – I used fat free plain Greek yogurt but full fat or reduced fat will also work.
- Cream cheese – Full fat or reduced fat plain cream cheese will both work. Whipped cream cheese works the best in this recipe since it is lighter and easier to whip with the rest of the ingredients.
- Lemon – I like the brightness the hint of lemon adds to this recipe but feel free to leave it out if you prefer.
- Vanilla – brings that nice vanilla flavor to the frosting.
- Maple syrup – I recommend using real maple syrup. This adds a nice sweetness to the frosting without any added refined sugar.
How to make homemade healthy cream cheese frosting
- Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk well with a hand mixer or stand mixer until stiff peaks form and all of the ingredients are incorporated into a nice, thick, smooth frosting.
- Use on your favorite cakes, cookies or a as dip for fruit or in a fruit parfait.
Other sweetener options for this frosting
- Liquid Stevia or munkfruit for a sugar-free option – use about 2-3 tablespoons since these natural sweeteners are much sweeter than maple syrup.
- Agave or honey – same amount as the maple syrup.
How to turn this frosting into a glaze
To easily turn this frosting into a nice drippy glaze, simply add some coconut or almond milk or even more lemon juice or maple syrup to thin it out. I like a combination of 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice plus 1 teaspoon each of maple syrup and coconut milk beverage. I would start there then add more based on your desired consistency.
Best ways to use this homemade cream cheese frosting
You can use this cream cheese frosting on so many things from cookies, to cakes, to cupcakes. Here are some of my favorite ways to use it:
- As a glaze on these pumpkin oatmeal cookies or these cranberry orange muffins.
- Spread onto some fruit pizza cookies as a nice based for the fruit or as a yummy frosting on these sugar cookies.
- Spread on top of some brownies then topped with mini chocolate chips (my kids favorite)
- As a dip for fruit! Yummy!
This vanilla frosting recipe is a nice base for other frosting flavors. Here are some variations to take this frosting to a whole new level!
- Use orange juice and orange zest for an orange-creamsicle flavor to this frosting
- Fold in some mini chocolate chips
- Stir in some nut butter
- Whisk in some cocoa powder (about 1/4 cup) for a healthy chocolate frosting.
You can easily store this cream cheese frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze this frosting?
This frosting is best if stored in the refrigerator and used within 3 days. I don’t recommend freezing it since it gets slightly clumpy and looses some flavor when you freeze it.
More healthy dessert recipes to try!
- Healthy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Berry Crisp
- Protein Cookie Dough Bites
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram @pinchmegoodfood so I can see your creation.Print