This simple 4-ingredient guacamole recipe is bursting with vibrant fresh, flavors with a delightfully creamy texture. It easily feeds a crowd and makes the perfect game day recipe or healthy snack that you can whip up in 5 minutes. Plus it is vegan, gluten-free and so delicious! It’s perfect served with homemade tortilla chips or fresh-cut veggies.
This is one of the BEST guacamole recipes that is easy to prepare in about 5 minutes with just 4 simple ingredients. Ripe avocados form a wonderful creamy base, with an amazing hint of citrus from the lime and a zesty bite from the garlic. A little bit of sea salt rounds everything out to give you a perfect balance of flavors in every bite!
If you love avocados like I do then this is the guacamole recipe you need! It is just as good as this avocado ranch or this green goddess dressing that never lasts more than 1-2 days in our house. Now that my kids like avocados I have to make a double batch of this guacamole. Plus, it makes the best healthy snack!
Why you’ll love this easy guacamole recipe
- Simple – with just 4 ingredients you get an easy fresh and healthy guacamole that everyone will love!
- Versatile – this recipe is amazing on its own but can also be dressed up with additional ingredients like cilantro, onions, tomatoes, or even everything seasoning.
- Healthy – avocados are not only delicious, but they are also a great source of healthy fats, fiber, and vitamins.
- Why you’ll love this easy guacamole recipe
- Ingredients and Substitutions
- Additional optional Mix-ins
- How To Make This 4 – Ingredient Guacamole Recipe
- Expert Tips
- Serving suggestions
- Recommended Kitchen Tools
- Storing, freezing, and make-ahead tips for homemade guacamole
- More healthy snack ideas to try:
- 4 Ingredient Guacamole Recipe
Ingredients and Substitutions
Guacamole is such a great recipe because you can make it with 4 simple ingredients and it tastes amazing! Plus it is healthy! Here is what you will need to make this quick and easy guacamole recipe.
- Avocados – fresh, ripe Haas avocados are best since they are so creamy and nutritious. No substitute for avocados since they are the main ingredient and base of this recipe.
- Lime – 1-2 fresh limes. I used just one but you may need more than one depending on how juicy they are. I like 1-2 tablespoons of lime juice in my guacamole but use less if you are less of a lime fan. You could also use lemon juice.
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves of fresh peeled and minced garlic is ideal for that authentic guacamole taste but you could use garlic paste or garlic powder if needed, about 1-2 teaspoons.
- Sea salt – used to enhance the flavors of the other ingredients. You can also use pink Himalayan salt if preferred.
*See the recipe card located at the bottom of this post for the full list of recipe ingredients and detailed instructions, plus nutrition.
Additional optional Mix-ins
- Diced red onion
- Chopped Roma tomatoes
- Cracked black pepper
- Diced hard-boiled eggs – for a high protein version
- Jalapeno – seeded and diced
- Everything bagel seasoning
How To Make This 4 – Ingredient Guacamole Recipe
You can make homemade, healthy, and delicious guacamole in about 5 minutes with just 4 simple ingredients. Here is how to make it!
Slice the avocado in half, remove the large pit, and scoop the filling into a medium bowl.
Squeeze a good amount of fresh lime juice over the avocados.
Use a fork or potato masher to mash the avocado until it is smooth and slightly chunky.
Add the minced garlic and salt and mix.
Serve immediately with chips or fresh-cut veggies.
Or you can transfer the guacamole to an airtight container, tightly press some plastic wrap against it, press all of the air out, and cover and store it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Look for the best ripe avocados – the foundation of any great guacamole is ripe avocados. Look for avocados that yield to slight pressure but don’t feel too mushy. Haas avocados are ripe once they turn a darker shade of green. You can also remove the small cap at the tip of the avocado and if it is green on the inside then it is likely ripe. See the photo above.
- Mashing avocados – Avocados are easiest to mash when ripe and at room temperature.
- Balance the flavors – because the flavors in guacamole can be strong (i.e lime, garlic, salt) you want to make sure to balance that with the flavor and creaminess of the avocados so it’s best to add a little bit at a time until you reach your ideal balance. We like our guacamole heavy on the lime and garlic. It’s also so good with a little fresh cilantro and cracked black pepper mixed in.
This fast 4-ingredient guacamole recipe easily feeds a crowd and makes about 4-6 cups of fresh homemade guacamole. You can leave it out for about an hour if it lasts that long.
- As a dip – Guacamole pairs wonderfully with tortilla chips, pita chips, or fresh veggies like bell peppers, carrot sticks, or celery.
- In tacos, burritos, and wraps – Guacamole adds a creamy and flavorful element to tacos, burritos, and wraps. Whether you’re preparing fish tacos, chicken burritos, or vegetarian wraps, a dollop of guacamole can significantly elevate the taste and texture. It pairs well with a variety of fillings and can be used as a healthier, dairy-free substitute for sour cream or mayonnaise.
- As a topping on toast or bread – Avocado toast has become a popular and healthy breakfast or snack option. Spread a generous layer of guacamole on toasted bread and top it with ingredients like poached or scrambled eggs, sliced tomatoes, smoked salmon, or a sprinkle of sesame seeds and chili flakes for added flavor. This combination makes for a nutritious and satisfying meal.
Recommended Kitchen Tools
Storing, freezing, and make-ahead tips for homemade guacamole
Guacamole is best if eaten right away but if you must make it ahead or have leftovers then here are some key tips.
- Storage: place the prepared guacamole in an airtight container with plastic wrap tightly pressed against it, so there are no air pockets since air is the enemy of guacamole and is what makes it turn brown. This works and it stays fresh and does not get brown for up to 3 days. As shown above.
- Freezing: transfer the guacamole to a resealable freezer-safe bag, press all of the air out of it, and freeze it for up to one week. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
- Make ahead: Use the storage tips above to make this guacamole ahead of time. When you are ready to serve it, add a squeeze of lime and give it a good stir to freshen up the flavors.
Traditional guacamole is made of avocados, lime, garlic, onions, and salt with some cilantro and chopped jalapenos sometimes mixed in. This is the type of guacamole you will find served at most Mexican restaurants.
Guacamole turns brown due to the oxidation process, which occurs when the avocado flesh reacts to the oxygen in the air. To prevent this, add lime juice to your guacamole, keep it in an airtight container with plastic wrap tightly pressed against it, and store it in the fridge.
Yes, it is very healthy since it is made with avocados. Guacamole is loaded with healthy vitamins like K, E, C, and B vitamins and is full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
More healthy snack ideas to try:
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Light and Healthy Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Mini Stuffed Peppers
- Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken
- Crockpot BBQ Meatballs
Did you try this easy 4 ingredient guacamole recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below, I would love to hear how yours turned out.Print