Chocolate zucchini muffins that are so fudgy and decadent and made from healthy, whole ingredients. Hearty zucchini, healthy almond butter and luscious dark chocolate make these muffins the best healthy muffins that even your kids will go crazy for! Gluten free and refined sugar free!
These Chocolate Zucchini Muffins were such a hit with my kids! I was so ecstatic since they contain healthy veggies plus loads of healthy fat and nutrients that the kids have no idea they are eating.
Plus the zucchini is hidden by the decadent dark chocolate that is so fudgy and makes these muffins the best healthy muffins you will ever make!
Also, chocolate for breakfast is just the best, especially with a nice hot cup of coffee.
Shredded zucchini should be put in every dessert. Don’t you think? It’s like this magic ingredient that is hidden in the most delicious sweet treats like in these Healthy Zucchini Muffins or this Zucchini Banana Bread.
There isn’t really much flavor to the zucchini so nobody will even notice it is in there, which is a mom win for sure when you are trying to get more veggies in your kids.
Why you will just love these muffins
- Made with all whole ingredients
- Gluten free and refined sugar free!
- Packed with healthy fat and nutrients
- Super fudgy and decadent
- Kid-friendly and mom-approved!
- Double chocolate overload! Yum!
Ingredients needed to make chocolate zucchini muffins
How to make chocolate zucchini muffins
- Mix up the dry ingredients: almond flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix up the wet ingredients: almond butter, applesauce, egg, maple syrup, vanilla extract and milk.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix well, then fold in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between 12 muffin cavities of a 12-cup lined muffin pan and bake at 400 degrees F for 22-25 minutes.
- Remove, let cool and enjoy these incredible chocolate zucchini muffins!
Tips for baking with zucchini
Zucchini is so great in baked goods because it has a delicate, light flavor that blends so beautifully into batters and gives any sweet treat a nice moist and light consistency.
When baking with zucchini you want to shred it as fine as you can so that it blends well into the batter. I like to use a box grater to do this since it has a fine grate side to it. This allows it to basically disappear into any batter, which is why nobody will even know it is in there.
Read the recipe you are using because some recipes will call for you to squeeze the extra water out of the zucchini before adding it to the batter and some recipes will have you leave it as is. This is the science of baking, haha.
In this chocolate zucchini muffins recipe you will need to squeeze the water out of the zucchini since we add in some other wet ingredients.
More healthy muffin recipes to try!
- Gluten Free Cranberry Orange Muffins
- Healthy Apple Muffins – Gluten Free
- Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Egg White Muffins
- Healthy Pumpkin Protein muffins
- Finley shred the zucchini and squeeze the extra water out by using a clean kitchen towel. This will make the zucchini the perfect texture in these chocolate zucchini muffins.
- Mix up the batter well so that the zucchini is well distributed throughout the batter.
- Don’t over fill the muffin cups with too much batter. Use an ice cream scoop to evenly distribute the batter between the muffin cup cavities.
- Check the muffins at around 22 minutes of baking and insert a clean toothpick in the center of one of the muffins to see if they are done. If the toothpick comes out with some wet crumbs on it then they are done. If not, then let them bake for a few more minutes.
- Let the muffins cool. These muffins need about 15-20 minutes to cool after baking. This will allow the muffin liners to easily pull away from the muffins and result in perfectly cooked fudgy chocolate zucchini muffins.
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print