This is the BEST Healthy Black Bean Burger ever! Hearty black beans mixed with sautéed veggies, garlic, and warm spices. Cooked until crispy on the outside and tender and delicious on the inside. Perfect for meal prep or meatless meals any day of the week.
Who doesn’t love a good hearty burger now and then? I know I do! Meatless options are everywhere but there is nothing like making your own. These are the BEST Healthy Black Bean Burgers I have ever had and they were so simple and easy to make!
My husband even ate them all, yes all 4 of them in one day, haha! Luckily he runs so much that he likely burned it off pretty quickly.
These burgers were created out of my need to have a veggie burger that only required a few ingredients and only a few steps to make. I did not want to bake the beans, puree, form, refrigerate, pan-fry, and bake. Way, way too many steps for this mama.
Why you will love this recipe
- Only a few simple ingredients that you probably have right now!
- Easy to make!
- Totally freezable!
- Super sturdy, don’t fall apart and are perfect for meal prep.
- Hearty and packed with flavor from the sautéed veggies, black beans, and spices.
- Kid and husband approved!
How to make healthy homemade black bean burgers
First, sauté the veggies – Onions, peppers, and mushrooms. This brings out all of the fantastic flavors in the vegetables. They get so soft and golden brown which really adds to the flavor profile of this incredible burger. Not to mention all of the nutrition they add to it.
Second, Make the burger mixture – To do this, simply combine the veggies, with partially mashed black beans (I like to leave some whole for texture), an egg, garlic powder chili powder, onion powder, oregano, breadcrumbs, Olive oil, salt,
Then, Form the burgers – Using wet hands, form the mixture into 4 good size burgers. I find that a 1/3 cup portion for each works well. Then place them onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet or plate and place them in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to firm up. Expert Tip: Wet your hands to help form the burgers more easily.
Finally, Cook the burgers – Heat a nonstick skillet with some oil and spread it evenly in the bottom of the pan. Once it is nice and hot, add the burgers in a single layer and cook them for about 5-6 minutes per side at medium heat. The edges will get nice and crispy, while the inside will be perfectly tender and packed full of flavor.
Serve them up – To serve, let the burgers cool for a few minutes then build them however you wish. You can go the traditional route and use a bun or put them on top of a healthy salad.
I used whole grain buns topped with a yummy sauce made of mayo and hot sauce mixed together (so good), some spicy arugula, sliced tomatoes, and crisp red onion. I also sometimes just pile them between lettuce cups or just eat them as a main part of my meal with some Mashed Butternut Squash and some Garlic Green Beans. A favorite weekday meal in our house.
Simply amazing and the kids loved them too! These burgers are such a wonderful meatless meal you can make quickly and eat all week long. They also double as a hearty protein and fiber rich healthy snack, which is a bonus.
What to serve with these burgers
These healthy black bean burgers are such a great meal that is already packed with good protein, carbs and veggies but here are some great ideas for other recipes you can serve alongside these hearty burgers.
- Have them with some yummy side dishes. Like these No-Oil Sweet Potato Wedges, Crispy Baked Beet Chips, or these Sweet and Spicy Cauliflower Wings.
- Add some delicious toppings. Such as this Classic Homemade Hummus, Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, or this Amazing Roasted Beet Pesto.
- Enjoy this burger on top of a crisp fresh salad. Such as this Easy Kale Salad, Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad. or this Roasted Butternut Squash Salad.
More healthy and easy black bean recipes
- Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl with Black beans
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Healthy Avocado Black Bean Brownies
Tips for making homemade black bean burgers
- Use good quality, low-sodium black beans – I find that organic is best! Since black beans are the main ingredient, you want to make sure you buy a good quality brand. They are super inexpensive too!
- Thoroughly drain and rinse the black beans before using – This step is so important and will help bring out all of the incredible black bean flavor.
- Chop the veggies into smaller pieces – this is a good rule of thumb when making any type of veggies burger so you don’t have big pieces of veggies sticking out of the burger mixture when you are trying to form it.
- Let the burgers chill before cooking – Once the burgers are formed, it is important to let them sit in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before you cook them. This will really help them firm up and stay together when cooked.
- You can freeze these burgers easily – When you place the burgers in the freezer before cooking, simply leave them in there for about 60 minutes on the sheet pan. Remove, wrap each burger in plastic wrap, place in an airtight container, and freeze for up to a month. When ready to cook, simply let them defrost on the counter for 15 minutes, then follow the recipe cooking instructions.
I hope you try this recipe! If you do, then please leave a comment and rating below. I would love to hear from you!Print