Super crispy, sweet and spicy baked cauliflower wings that are so crave-worthy you will want to make them for all of your family and friends. Simple to make in only a few steps, packed with amazing flavors, gluten-free and kid-friendly. A meatless wing recipe you need in your life!
Okay, these sweet and spicy baked cauliflower wings are so good they are basically up there with these Easy Baked Eggplant Fries that are my other favorite crispy, delicious snack made from veggies.
Cauliflower is not my favorite vegetable but put these in front of me and I will likely eat the entire plate, they are that good!
Nutritious cauliflower dredged in gluten-free breading and eggs, baked to crispy perfection and covered in the most amazing sweet and spicy sauce I have ever had! Topped off with fresh chives and crunchy toasted sesame seeds.
Pretty much the perfect game-day snack or appetizer ever!
Why you will love this recipe
- Uber crispy outer crust with a soft tender center
- Super easy to make in only a few steps
- Baked and not fried with very little oil
- Way healthier than traditional chicken wings and these are 100% meat-free!
- Made from real, whole ingredients
- Kid-friendly and perfect for entertaining
I could go on but I will stop there and get onto the good stuff…
Ingredients needed to make these incredible baked cauliflower wings
How to make these amazing cauliflower wings
- Combine the breadcrumbs, flour, salt, and pepper in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- In a separate medium-size mixing bowl, crack and whisk the eggs and season them with salt and pepper.
3. Set up a dredging station with the cauliflower, eggs, and the breadcrumb mixture and place a wire rack onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Dip each piece of cauliflower fully in the egg mixture, then in the breadcrumb mixture, making sure each is fully coated. Then place each piece of breaded cauliflower onto the wire-rack lined baking sheet. Continue until you have coated all of the cauliflower.
5. Once you have coated all of the cauliflower, spray them liberally with olive oil cooking spray or drizzle them with olive oil.
6. Then bake in the middle rack of your oven at 400 F degrees for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
While the cauliflower is baking, you can whip up the crazy good sauce.
7. To make the sauce: Add the maple syrup or honey, brown sugar, garlic paste, ginger paste, chili paste, and soy sauce to a small pot and bring to a boil while whisking. Then reduce to simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk a few times to allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
8. Once the cauliflower is done, add it to a large bowl and pour the sauce all over it. Shake the bowl a little to make sure all of the cauliflower wings are covered in the sauce.
9. Pour onto a platter and top with diced chives and sesame seeds.
It’s just so amazingly crispy and sticky sweet on the outside and tender on the inside. Just like a chicken wing but without the meat so you can eat way more. Love that!
- Choose a medium-size cauliflower that is even in size. This will ensure the florets are all relatively the same size and will yield a good amount of wings.
- To easily cut the cauliflower: Remove as many leaves as possible, flip the cauliflower onto its head, run a sharp kitchen knife around the center of the core and pull it out. Some florets will naturally just fall off and you can easily pull or cut up the rest. So super easy. You can also buy pre-cut cauliflower florets at most grocery stores. You want about 25-30 florets.
- For the sauce: I used pastes for the garlic, ginger, and chili flavors but you could also use 1 teaspoon of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon of minced ginger, and 1 teaspoon of minced chili peppers if you cannot find the paste. Coconut sugar also works well in place of the brown sugar if you want to keep this recipe refined sugar-free.
- For the breadcrumbs: I used a combo of gluten-free seasoned breadcrumbs and gluten-free panko breadcrumbs that I slightly crushed with my hands. You could also use regular breadcrumbs if you don’t need to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Serving: These are best if eaten right away, nice and warm since they will lose their crispiness if they sit for too long or are reheated.