This Curry Butternut Squash Soup is made with hearty squash, spicy yellow and red curry, onions, garlic and ginger with a hint of coconut milk to give it a nice creamy finish. It comes together in 10 minutes thanks to the Instant Pot and it is both Vegan and Gluten Free!
Curry Butternut Squash Soup is one of those recipes that is hearty, bright and fresh and is perfect for fall. Squash is in season so it is less expensive and more flavourful which makes this soup really pop.
If you are not into curry then check out this amazing Simple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup that is also Vegan.
Thanks to the Instant Pot, you can make this soup all in one pot in about 10-15 minutes, which is pretty amazing and convenient. This healthy soup recipe is made with only a few simple ingredients and it is packed with nutrition. The combination of the butternut squash and the curry is simply magnificent.
Why you will love this soup recipe
- So flavourful thanks to the squash + curry combination
- It is an easy recipe anyone can make.
- Smooth, creamy and so good
- It stores great so it is a wonderful meal prep recipe
- Everyone can enjoy it since it is both Vegan and Gluten Free
What is curry powder?
Curry powder is a traditional Indian spice made up of a blend of cumin, coriander, ginger and turmeric. It is typically used to add Indian flavor to meat and vegetables. Check out this article on Homemade Curry Powder.
What is Curry Paste?
Curry paste is like curry powder except it is curry powder blended with other herbs into a paste so it has a little bit more of a concentrated curry flavor. You can buy curry paste at most grocery stores. For more information about curry paste check out this article on Everything You Need To Know About Curry Paste.
Ingredients needed to make Curry Butternut Squash Soup
How to make curry butternut squash soup
You can easily make this soup in less than 15 minutes in the Instant Pot. See the recipe notes below for stovetop and slow cooker instructions.
- Set the Instant Pot to “sauté”, add the olive oil, onions, garlic, ginger and cubed squash. Season that all with some salt and pepper and toss and cook it for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the curry paste and powder, vegetable stock and more salt and pepper for seasoning. Stir that all together. Secure the lid and set the Instant Pot to the “sealing” position. Set the soup to cook in manual mode for 10 minutes.
- Once the soup is ready, remove the lid and turn the Instant Pot off. Blend the soup using an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a high speed blender to blend it up and return it to the pot. Pour in a little coconut milk for extra creamy soup.
- Divide the curry butternut squash soup between a few bowls, top it with another splash of coconut milk, some fresh torn cilantro, pumpkin seeds and red pepper flakes.
Get full list of ingredients and recipe instructions in the recipe card below.
This soup is great all on it’s own but here are a few other recipes that would pair perfectly with it for a more hearty meal.
- A Chickpea Chicken Salad Sandwich or this Roasted Veggies and Hummus Sandwich would both be great accompaniments to this butternut squash soup.
- Serve it with these Gluten Free Herb Biscuits that would be great for dipping in the soup.
- Pair it with a hearty salad like this Beet and Goat Cheese Salad or this Crispy Chickpea Kale Caesar Salad.
- It would also be so good with some warm, fluffy naan bread.
More Butternut Squash Recipes
- Sausage and Apple Stuffed Butternut Squash
- Easy Maple Glazed Butternut Squash
- The BEST Mashed Butternut Squash
- Healthy Butternut Squash Lasagna
- Air Fryer Butternut Squash
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
More soup recipes
- Healthy Creamy Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot Lemony Lentil Soup
- Spicy Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
- Simple Cauliflower Sausage and Kale Soup
- For a shortcut you can buy prepared butternut squash that has already been peeled and chopped. You will need 6-7 cups of cubed squash.
- You can peel and cut the squash in advance and store it in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days before you use it.
- Any type of unsweetened, non-dairy milk or cream will work in this recipe
- You can use vegetable stock or chicken stock if you do not need to keep this recipe vegan.
- An immersion blender is the best tool for blending the soup. Just make sure to unplug the Instant pot before you blend it if you are blending right in the pot.
- You can store this soup once it has fully cooled in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Easily reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
Did you make this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. You can also tag me on Instagram @pinchmegoodfood so I can see your creation.Print