This delicious Cauliflower Sausage and Kale Soup recipe is easily made in one pot and is loaded with Italian sausage, kale, sweet potato, and cauliflower. It is so simple and comes together in under 30 minutes. An easy weeknight meal for the whole family!
Colder months call for warm comforting soup recipes like this tasty Cauliflower Sausage and Kale Soup that is so quick and easy to make in one pot in less than 30 minutes.
Make it ahead and have it on hand for a fast and healthy lunch or weeknight dinner. This soup is a complete meal packed with lots of protein, veggies and so much flavor. You can make it with only 5 ingredients and your whole family will love it, especially paired with a simple salad.
My husband and I made this for our meal prep and ate it for lunch, snacks, and dinner a few days this week and it never got boring since it is packed with so much flavor and was just so easy to pull together as a healthy meal we could both enjoy.
Why you will love this soup recipe
- It only requires 5 ingredients and less than 30 minutes to make it.
- There is so much flavor all packed in one bowl of this soup
- Great for meal prep since it stores great!
- It has so much nutrition with loads of protein and veggies
Ingredients needed to make this soup
How to make Italian Sausage and Kale Soup
You can make this soup in a few simple and easy steps all in one pot.
- First, you need to roast the cauliflower. To do this, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Cut a head of cauliflower into florets by peeling off the leaves, cutting out the core, and pulling off or cutting it up into little trees.
- Drizzle it with a little olive oil, season it with salt and pepper and any other spices you enjoy like chili powder or garlic powder. Toss and place it onto a baking sheet and roast it for 20-25 minutes at 425 degrees F.
3. While the cauliflower is baking, you can prepare the rest of the soup. Start by heating a large pot to medium heat and add in some olive oil. Toss in the sausage and cook it until it is nice and golden brown. Then add in the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Let that all cook until the onions and garlic are soft, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Then add in the chicken stock and cubed sweet potato. Let that all come to a boil, then cover and simmer until the potatoes are nice and soft. Add in the chopped kale right at the end and let it cook for a few minutes until wilted then top the soup with the roasted cauliflower.
It is so crazy delicious and one of the best soups ever! Plus you can make it any day of the week and have to eat all week long.
This soup is packed with so much flavor and texture, not to mention the loads of protein and nutrition it has. I just love it!
How long will this soup last?
This soup will last about 3-4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It reheats nicely and is great for quick lunches, a light healthy snack, or for dinner.
Can you freeze this Soup?
This soup also freezes very well. I like to freeze my soup in freezer-friendly ziplock bags and lay it flat in the freezer then defrost it in the fridge overnight and reheat it on the stove.
You can also freeze it in large freezer-friendly containers as well.
Please note that when you freeze this soup it will lose a bit of it’s taste and texture but it will still be hearty and delicious.
What to serve with sausage and kale soup
- You can use any type of chicken or turkey sausage in this soup. I used pre-cooked robust Italian chicken sausage. If you use raw sausage, just make sure to cook it a little bit longer until it is nice and golden brown on all sides.
- Any kind of kale is great in this recipe. I used curly red kale but tuscan kale or just regular curly kale all work. Just make sure you clean, de-stem, and chop the kale before adding it to the soup.
- Make sure to clean and peel the potatoes and then chop them up into either 1 inch cubes or smaller. The smaller you cut them, the quicker they will cook. I cut mine into 1 inch cubes. You can also purchase sweet potatoes that are already peeled and chopped at most grocery stores to save even more time.
- This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also easily freeze this soup for up to 2 months. See post for freezing recommendations.
- To make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, use plant based sausage. It will alter the flavor a little but it will still be super good.
Here are some more dairy-free hearty soups you may also love
I hop you try this recipe. If you do, then please leave a rating and comment below.Print