This delicious Sausage and Kale Soup recipe is easily made in one pot and is loaded with Italian sausage, kale, sweet potato, and Italian spices. It is so simple and comes together in under 30 minutes. An easy healthy dinner for the whole family!
Colder months call for warm comforting soup recipes like this tasty Sausage and Kale Soup that is so quick and easy to make in one pot in less than 30 minutes.
Make it ahead and have it on hand for a fast and healthy lunch or weeknight dinner. This soup is a complete meal packed with lots of protein, veggies and so much flavor.
You can make it with only 5 ingredients and your whole family will love it, especially paired with a quick and easy salad like this Chopped Kale Salad with Quinoa or this Kale and Brussel Sprout Salad.
Similar to this Creamy Asparagus Soup that we also love so much that we have to make multiple batches when we make it, ha ha.
Why you will love this soup recipe
- It only requires 5 ingredients and less than 30 minutes to make it.
- There is so much flavor all packed in one bowl of this soup
- Great for meal prep since it stores great!
- It has so much nutrition with loads of protein and veggies
My kids love sausage, so this recipe was right up our alley except they were not that into the sausage being in soup mixed with kale.
Anyway, I will try it with them again sometime soon and see if I can entice them.
Ingredients needed to make sausage and kale soup
How to make Italian Sausage and Kale Soup
You can make this soup in a few simple and easy steps all in one pot.
- Cook the sausage and veggies. Heat a large pot to medium heat and add in some olive oil. Toss in the sausage and cook it until it is nice and golden brown. Then add in the onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Let that all cook until the onions and garlic are soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken stock and cubed sweet potato. Let that all come to a boil, then cover and simmer until the potatoes are nice and soft. Add in the chopped kale right at the end and let it cook for a few minutes until wilted.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
It is so crazy delicious and one of the best soups ever! Plus you can make it any day of the week and have to eat all week long. I love a good quick and easy meal prep recipe like this one.
This soup is packed with so much flavor and texture, not to mention the loads of protein and nutrition it has. I just love it!
What kind of sausage can you use in this soup?
Any sausage will really work in this sausage and kale soup. I used link chicken sausage that I sliced into rounds. Bilinski Robust Italian Sausage is my favorite brand of chicken sausage and they are not paying me to say that, it is just the truth.
Crumbled pork sausage is also great in this recipe and will cook up even quicker. No need to add much oil to the pan since it contains more fat than chicken sausage.
Lean ground chicken or ground turkey will also work but will have less flavor and fat than sausage does.
How long will this sausage and kale soup last?
This soup will last about 3-4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It reheats nicely and is great for quick lunches, a light healthy snack, or for dinner.
Can you freeze this Soup?
This soup also freezes very well. I like to freeze my soup in freezer-friendly ziplock bags and lay it flat in the freezer then defrost it in the fridge overnight and reheat it on the stove.
You can also freeze it in large freezer-friendly containers as well.
Please note that when you freeze this soup it will lose a bit of it’s taste and texture but it will still be hearty and delicious.
Recipe Tips and variations
- You can use any type of chicken or turkey sausage in this soup. I used pre-cooked robust Italian chicken sausage. If you use raw sausage, just make sure to cook it a little bit longer until it is nice and golden brown on all sides.
- Any kind of kale is great in this recipe. I used curly red kale but tuscan kale or just regular curly kale all work. Just make sure you clean, de-stem, and chop the kale before adding it to the soup.
- Make sure to clean and peel the potatoes and then chop them up into either 1 inch cubes or smaller. The smaller you cut them, the quicker they will cook. I cut mine into 1 inch cubes. You can also purchase sweet potatoes that are already peeled and chopped at most grocery stores to save even more time.
- This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can also easily freeze this soup for up to 2 months. See post for freezing recommendations.
- To make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, use plant based sausage. It will alter the flavor a little but it will still be super good.
More Healthy Soup Recipes
- Healthy Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Curry Butternut Squash Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Healthy Creamy Tomato Soup
I hop you try this recipe. If you do, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how your’s turned out!Print