Hearty lentils, warm spices like cumin, garlic, and oregano simmered in a bed of vegetable broth and topped with fresh lemon juice and herbs. An Instant Pot Soup recipe that you need to try! Stores great and it’s ready in less than 30 minutes! Vegan and Gluten-Free!
There is nothing like a beautiful warm bowl of a soup like this Instant Pot Lemony Lentil Soup. Hearty, tasty lentils cooked with
So good and very easy, since the Instant Pot does all the work for you.
Are lentils good for you?
Lentils are such a key ingredient to have at all times in your pantry. They are so versatile and can easily be incorporated into any meal. Lentils are also very flavorful and easy to make, not to mention the crazy health benefits they contain.
- Great source of Protein
- Help reduce Blood sugar levels
- Increase Energy
- Lower Cholesterol
- Help with Digestion
- Great for Weight Loss
My favorite variety of lentils are green lentils since they are so delicious and perfect for soups and salads like in this recipe.
How to make lentil soup in the instant pot
- Set the Instant Pot to the “Sauté” setting and let it heat up for a minute. Then add in some olive oil and the onions, celery, and carrots. I love the smell of sautéd veggies.
- Add in the potatoes and garlic with a little tomato paste and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add in all of the spices and the lentils – I used green lentils
- Add some salt and pepper and mix everything together, toasting the veggies, lentils, and spices for a minute or two.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, a vegetable bouillon cube and another sprinkle of salt. Cover and seal the Instant Pot, and then set to cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes.
- Now go get a quick workout in people! Haha! You have15 minutes so go do some jumping jacks, squats and lunges. This is how I get my workouts in, haha.
- After 15 minutes, the Instant Pot will release pressure naturally.
- Once it’s ready, open the lid carefully, squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon and stir.
- Serve, top with any fresh herbs you have on hand or a big handful of spinach and get to eating this healing, energy-boosting soup!
A few notes about this Instant Pot Lemony Lentil Soup Recipe
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can still make this in a large pot or dutch oven on the stovetop. You would just follow all of the same steps leading up the putting the lid on the instant pot, except you would put a lid on the pot or dutch oven you are using, bring it to a boil and then simmer it on low-medium heat for 20-30 minutes. Add in the lemon juice right at the end.
- Want to add more greens? Simply add a few handfuls of spinach right at the end before you add in the lemon juice. I love the do this. You could also top the soup with my Easy Vegan Nut and Seed Parmesan Cheese.
- Don’t have the same veggie trio I used in this recipe? You can use bell peppers, red onion or parsnips in place of the onions, celery, and carrots. I have also added in some cauliflower to this recipe and it totally worked.
Want another awesome Instant Pot Soup recipe to try? Check out this Instant Pot Minestrone Soup from Sweet and Savory Meals. It is A-MAZING!
Instant Pot Lemony Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 large carrots diced
- 1 cup baby red potatoes diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- juice of 1-2 lemons depending on how much lemon flavor you like
- Set the Instant Pot to the Saute/Browning setting and add in the olive oil. Let it heat up for a minute or two. Add the onions, celery, and carrots with a sprinkle of salt to the Instant Pot and sauté for a few minutes until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste, minced garlic, potatoes, and stir. Let them cook for another minute. Add in the spices and stir to coat all of the veggies. Cook for 1 minute to wake up all of the spices.
- Pour in the lentils, toss and toast with the veggies and spices for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the vegetable stock, bouillon cube and some salt and pepper and stir it all together.
- Place the lid onto the Instant Pot and set it to cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the Instant Pot will release pressure naturally, which takes about 10 to 15 additional minutes.
- Once it's ready, open the lid carefully, squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon and stir. Serve hot, top with any fresh herbs you have on hand or a big handful of spinach and get to eating this healing, energy-boosting soup.
- You can top this with some spinach and just stir it in to wilt right at the end of the cooking time.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can still make this in a large pot or dutch oven on the stovetop. You would just follow all of the same steps leading up the putting the lid on the instant pot, except you would put a lid on the your pot or dutch, oven bring it to a boil and then simmer it on low-medium heat for 20-30 minutes. Add dd in the lemon juice and stir at the end of the cooking time.
- This soup stores great in an airtight container for up to five days. To reheat: Pop in the microwave for 90 seconds.