Hearty lentils, warm spices like cumin, garlic, and oregano simmered in a bed of vegetable broth and topped with fresh lemon juice and herbs. An Instant Pot Soup recipe that you need to try! Stores great and it’s ready in less than 30 minutes! Vegan and Gluten-Free!
There is nothing like a beautiful warm bowl of a soup like this Instant Pot Lemony Lentil Soup. Hearty, tasty lentils cooked with
So good and very easy, since the Instant Pot does all the work for you.
Fresh veggies and hearty lentils stewed in the instant pot to make the most amazing comforting lentil soup topped with green kale and salty parmesan cheese. Is there anything better on a cold winter day? Not really.
What to love about this lentil soup recipe
- Super easy to make, right in the instant pot
- Warm, comforting and so so good for you
- Light with an amazing smooth texture mixed with the rough edges of the kale and the salty and creaminess of the parmesan cheese
- Packed with protein and vitamins
- Stores great and is even better the next day!
Are lentils good for you?
Lentils are such a key ingredient to have at all times in your pantry. They are so versatile and can easily be incorporated into any meal. Lentils are also very flavorful and easy to make, not to mention the crazy health benefits they contain.
- Great source of Protein
- Help reduce Blood sugar levels
- Increase Energy
- Lower Cholesterol
- Help with Digestion
- Great for Weight Loss
My favorite variety of lentils are red and green lentils since they are so delicious and perfect for soup like in this recipe.
Ingredients to make this Instant Pot Lemony Lentil Soup
How to make lentil soup in the instant pot
- Set the Instant Pot to the “Sauté” setting and let it heat up for a minute. Then add in some olive oil and the onions, celery, and carrots. I love the smell of sautéed veggies.
2. Add in the garlic with a little tomato paste and sauté for a few minutes.
3. Then add in the potatoes.
4. Stir in the lentils, pour in the vegetable stock, and season with salt and pepper. Stir everything together and secure the lid onto the instant pot.
5. Set the instant pot to the “SOUP” setting for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the Instant Pot will start to countdown until it is ready to release the pressure. The instant pot will either release the pressure naturally or you can do a quick release.
6. Once it’s ready, open the lid carefully, squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon and stir.
7. Stir in some fresh sliced kale and top with shredded parmesan or manchego cheese. So cozy good!
A few notes about this Instant Pot Lemony Lentil Soup Recipe
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can still make this in a large pot or dutch oven on the stovetop. You would just follow all of the same steps leading up the putting the lid on the instant pot, except you would put a lid on the pot or dutch oven you are using, bring it to a boil and then simmer it on low-medium heat for 20-30 minutes. Add in the lemon juice right at the end.
- Want to add more greens? Simply add a few handfuls of spinach or kale. I love the do this. You could also top the soup with my Easy Vegan Nut and Seed Parmesan Cheese.
- Don’t have the same veggie trio I used in this recipe? You can use bell peppers, red onion or parsnips in place of the onions, celery, and carrots. I have also added in some cauliflower to this recipe and it totally worked.
Want another awesome Instant Pot Soup recipe to try? Check out this Spicy Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup It is A-MAZING!
Did you try this recipe? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below.Print
Hearty lentils, warm spices like cumin, garlic and oregano simmered in a bed of vegetable broth and topped with fresh lemon juice and herbs. An Instant Pot Soup recipe that you need to try! Stores great and it’s ready in less than 30 minutes! Vegan and Gluten-Free!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 3 large carrots (diced)
- 1 cup baby red potatoes (diced)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp dried coriander
- 1 cup red or brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- juice of 1–2 lemons (depending on how much lemon flavor you like)
- Set the Instant Pot to the Saute/Browning setting and add in the olive oil. Let it heat up for a minute or two. Add the onions, celery, and carrots with a sprinkle of salt to the Instant Pot and sauté for a few minutes until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste, minced garlic, and stir. Let them cook for another minute. Add in the spices and stir to coat all of the veggies. Cook for 1 minute to wake up all of the spices then add in the potatoes.
- Pour in the lentils, toss and toast with the veggies and spices for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the vegetable stock, sprinkle in some salt and pepper and stir it all together.
- Place the lid onto the Instant Pot and set it to cook on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the Instant Pot will release pressure naturally, which takes about 10 to 15 additional minutes.
- Once it’s ready, open the lid carefully, squeeze in the juice of 1 lemon and stir. Serve hot, top with any fresh greens or herbs you have on hand along with some shredded hard cheese like parmesan or manchego.
- You can top this with some spinach or kale and just stir it in to wilt right at the end of the cooking time.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can still make this in a large pot or dutch oven on the stovetop. You would just follow all of the same steps leading up the putting the lid on the instant pot, except you would put a lid on the your pot or dutch, oven bring it to a boil and then simmer it on low-medium heat for 20-30 minutes. Add dd in the lemon juice and stir at the end of the cooking time.
- This soup stores great in an airtight container for up to five days. To reheat: Pop in the microwave for 90 seconds.
- Category: Main Course
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Mediterranean