Creamy, silky, spicy instant pot sweet potato soup. Soft, tender sweet potatoes, warm cinnamon, paprika, and spicy chipotle pepper sauce, cooked perfectly in the instant pot. Finished off with creamy coconut milk and topped with red pepper flakes and fresh herbs. Vegan and gluten-free!
Fall is finally here, even if it is still 90 degrees here in North Carolina. My favorite season, mostly because I love soup and running in the crisp, sunny, leaf falling weather. This Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup has become a new favorite for my entire family and it just tastes like fall.
It’s so good that my Mom has continued to request it and insists on asking everyone, Have you tried Amy’s sweet potato soup?
Creamy, silky, smooth, full of fall spices with the perfect hint of spiciness from the chipotle peppers that you can taste on the back of your tongue in every bite.
Why you will love this Spicy Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup
- Super easy to make, the instant pot does all the work for you!
- Packed full of warm fall flavors like cinnamon and sweet paprika.
- Silky, smooth and creamy without any dairy! Yay!
- It’s both vegan and gluten-free so it’s the perfect soup everyone will love!
- Incredible hint of spice from the chipotle pepper sauce that you can taste in every bite.
- Stores great!! Perfect for meal prep!
Ingredients needed to make this spicy sweet potato soup
How to make Sweet Potato Soup in the instant pot
- Start by peeling and chopping the sweet potatoes. Yes, I know, not a job anyone loves, so put on some music and peel and chop away. If you don’t like peeling and chopping potatoes, then you can take a shortcut and buy prepped sweet potatoes in the produce section of most grocery stores. You will need about 2 lbs of peeled and chopped sweet potatoes.
- Then, set the instant pot to “sauté”, add in some olive oil and once the instant pot beeps or indicates “hot” then add in the onions and garlic and sauté until the onions are translucent and slightly brown.
- Add in the sweet potatoes that you so effortlessly, peeled and chopped, the stock plus some water, cinnamon, sweet paprika, chipotle pepper sauce, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Toss that all together, secure the lid and set the instant pot to the “soup” setting for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the pressure will naturally release which takes about 10 extra minutes. Once the pressure is fully released and the instant pot beeps, carefully remove the lid.
5. Finish it off with some creamy coconut milk that brings this soup to a whole new silky, smooth level that blew me away. I still cannot believe it ge
Serve warm and top with dairy-free plain greek yogurt and freshly chopped cilantro.
How to store this soup
This soup can be stored easily in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, one serving – simply heat it on high in the microwave for about 1 minute, making sure to cover it with a paper towel so it doesn’t splatter. To reheat, more than one serving – add the soup to a pot on the stove and set it to low heat and it should warm up in less than 5 minutes.
You can also freeze this soup! Once it cools completely, pour it into a couple of freezer-friendly ziplock bags, label them and then place them in the freezer, lay them flat and store for up to 2 months. To reheat, defrost the soup overnight in the fridge and heat on the stove. I love a great soup that you can easily store and freeze.
If you like fall soups then you will also love this Instant Pot Lemony Lentil Soup!
I hope you enjoy this soup as much as my family and I did. If you do try this recipe then please leave a comment and rating below!
Expert tips for making this soup
- Pick good ripe sweet potatoes that are medium in size and not too large, rich in color, and with few blemishes. This will ensure the soup has that incredible sweet potato flavor when combined with only a few other ingredients.
- Use the instant pot to make this soup. Cooking this soup in the pressure cooker really gives it that extra flavor that is really incredible.
- Use good quality ingredients since this recipe has very few ingredients, it is important that they are better quality for optimal taste and texture.
- Use a good full fat coconut milk to get the nice creamy finish that makes this soup so amazing!