This Curry Butternut Squash Soup is made with hearty squash, spicy yellow and red curry, onions, garlic and ginger with a hint of coconut milk to give it a nice creamy finish. It comes together in 10 minutes thanks to the Instant Pot and it is both Vegan and Gluten Free!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion – peeled and diced
- 2 cloves of garlic – peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger or ginger paste
- 1 (2.5-3 pound) butternut squash – peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1/2 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 2.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4–1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- Fresh cilantro, pumpkin seeds – optional for garnish
- Set the Instant Pot to “sauté”, add the olive oil, onions, garlic, ginger and cubed squash. Season that all with some salt and pepper and toss and cook it for 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the curry paste and powder, vegetable stock and more salt and pepper for seasoning. Stir that all together. Secure the lid and set the Instant Pot to the “sealing” position. Set the soup to cook in manual mode for 10 minutes. The pressure will naturally release after 10 minutes. If it does not release then you can do a manual release.
- Once the soup is ready, carefully remove the lid and turn the Instant Pot off. Blend the soup using an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a high speed blender to blend it up and return it to the pot. Stir in a little coconut milk for extra creamy soup.
- Divide the curry butternut squash soup between a few bowls, top it with another splash of coconut milk, some fresh torn cilantro, pumpkin seeds and red pepper flakes. Serve warm.
- For a shortcut you can buy prepared butternut squash that has already been peeled and chopped. You will need 6-7 cups of cubed squash.
- You can peel and cut the squash in advance and store it in your refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days before you use it.
- Any type of unsweetened, non-dairy milk or cream will work in this recipe
- You can use vegetable stock or chicken stock if you do not need to keep this recipe vegan.
- An immersion blender is the best tool for blending the soup. Just make sure to unplug the Instant pot before you blend it if you are blending right in the pot.
- You can store this soup once it has fully cooled in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Easily reheat it on the stove or in the microwave.
- Stovetop Instructions: Heat a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil then add the onions, garlic, ginger and squash to the pot and toss and cook it all for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the curry then add the stock and season. Cover and let it cook on medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, blend, stir in the coconut milk and serve.
- Slow Cooker Instructions: Heat the slow cooker to medium heat. Add the olive oil then add the onions, garlic, ginger and squash to the pot and toss and cook it all for 4-5 minutes. Stir in the curry then add the stock and season. Cover and set the slow cooker on low 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. Then blend, stir in the coconut milk and serve.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Healthy Dinner Ideas
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Indian