Please note that some of the links are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links.
Roasted fennel is an amazingly easy and delicious dish to make with only a few simple ingredients. It is seasoned and roasted in the oven until perfectly caramelized and buttery. Fennel is a wonderful healthy side dish and this fennel recipe is Vegan, Gluten free, Whole30 and Paleo.
The Best Roasted Fennel Recipe
Roasted fennel is an amazingly healthy and delicious side dish that you can make and enjoy for days. It goes well with so many things like chicken, pork, salmon or you can even add it to this stuffed acorn squash.
I was pleasantly surprised that my family loved this fennel recipe and they actually ate it all when I made it! Fennel is probably one of the most underutilized vegetables that most people pass over at the grocery store but TRUST ME it is so easy to prepare and so delicious!
Similar to this fennel slaw that is also amazing!
What is fennel?
Fennel is a plant that originates from the Mediterranean and it is part of the carrot family. It looks like a white or light green bulb with long dark green fronds attached to it. You could say it looks like a flower since it is known to be a flowering plant.
Check out this post on the benefits of eating fennel.
What does fennel taste like?
Fennel has a slight liquorice flavor that becomes more mild when it is roasted or cooked. It can also become sweet when you cook it which is what makes it so flavorful and delicious.
In this fennel recipe we use mainly the bulb but the entire plant is totally edible. You can use the green fronds to garnish the roasted fennel for serving after it is cooked.
Ingredients to make roasted fennel
- Fennel – look for a medium-large size fennel that has dark green ends (fronds) with little to no blemishes or dark spots on the bulb.
- Olive oil – you can also use avocado oil.
- Thyme, salt and pepper – to add flavor and bring out the sweetness of the fennel.
How to cut fennel
Use a sharp kitchen knife to slice the fennel where the bulb meets the dark green top. Then slice the fennel in half and then cut it into slices. You can also cut it into wedges if you prefer. Then save the fronds as a garnish for the roasted fennel. You can also slice the ends off of the fennel and use it in stir fry and soups.
Check out this video tutorial on how to cut fennel.
How to cook fennel
Fennel is way easier to cook than you think and it is worth it since the flavor is incredible! Here are the step by step instructions on how to roast fennel in the oven.
- Cut the fennel – first you want to clean it and dry it, then slice off the ends and remove any thick layers that will likely fall off on their own when you cut it. Then slice the fennel bulb in half and use a kitchen knife to cut it into wedges or half circles.
- Season – place the sliced fennel into a medium size mixing bowl, drizzle it with olive oil and then season it well with salt, pepper and dried thyme.
- Cook – place the seasoned fennel onto a lined baking sheet and roast it in the oven at 450 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. Note: the smaller you cut the fennel the shorter the cooking time will be.
- Serve – serve the roasted fennel hot as a healthy side dish with your favorite main dishes.
Can you eat fennel raw?
Yes you can! Raw fennel is so flavorful but will have a more pronounced liquorice flavor. As mentioned above, try it in this fennel slaw with apples, which goes wonderfully with these salmon patties for a delicious complete meal.
Fennel is very easy to digest whether it is eaten raw or cooked and it has so much nutrition like fiber, potassium, calcium, and vitamin C. It is also anti inflammatory and great for gut health.
What to serve with roasted fennel
Fennel goes great with so many things. Here are a few of my favorite dishes to serve it with.
- Serve it as a side dish with this Pork Tenderloin.
- Enjoy it alongside some Chicken thighs or roasted chicken
- Pair it with some cooked Salmon.
- Use it as a healthy topping on pizza!
Storing and reheating tips
You can store this roasted fennel in an airtight container and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Easily reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave.
More healthy side dishes!
- Easy roasted potatoes and carrots
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Oven Roasted Broccoli
- Rosted Asparagus
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
I am so excited for you to try this roasted fennel recipe! If you do try it then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear from you!Print
Easy Roasted Fennel – with pepper and thyme
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Roasted fennel is an amazingly easy and delicious dish to make with only a few simple ingredients. It is seasoned and roasted in the oven until perfectly buttery, caramelised and packed with flavor. Fennel is a wonderful healthy side dish and this fennel recipe is Vegan, Paleo, Gluten Free and Whole30.
- 2 large fennel bulbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.
- Cut the fennel – use a sharp kitchen knife to slice the fennel where the bulb meets the dark green top. Then slice the bulb in half and then slice it into half moon shapes or wedges.
- Season – place the sliced fennel into a medium size mixing bowl. Drizzle it with olive oil and season it with thyme, salt and pepper. Toss to coat it all in the seasoning.
- Cook – place the seasoned fennel onto the lined baking sheet and roast it in the oven on the middle rack for 18-20 minutes. Note: the smaller you cut the fennel the shorter the cooking time will be.
- Serve – Serve the roasted feel hot and garnish with lemon wedges and some of the fennel fronds.
- Select fennel bulbs that have dark green tops and a white bulb with little to no spots or indentations.
- Cut the fennel into even size slices to allow it all to cook evenly.
- You can store cooked fennel in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Easily reheat it in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Category: Healthy Side Dishes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: roasted fennel, roasted fennel recipe, fennel, fennel recipe,
Leave a Reply