Here are 7 easy healthy eating habits you can start making today to eat better, reach your ideal weight, and feel your best everyday. All straightforward easy and realistic changes anyone can make that will impact how you live and how you feel in your everyday life. Because eating healthy is not just about what you eat, it’s also about how you eat.
Do you ever feel overwhelmed with all of the healthy eating, weight loss tips, diets, etc that are being thrown at you every minute and wonder what healthy eating really means?
Well I have something very compelling to tell you. A truth that the health and fitness industry doesn’t want you to know. Eating healthy and losing weight is actually very simple and easy to do. Yes! It’s true!
We live in a time where people are confused about what diet is the healthiest, how can I lose this last 10lbs, how do I eat better so I can feel my best? Am I right? Of course I am! We all feel this way!
What we need to realize is that most of us are focusing on the wrong thing. Focusing on the eating habits we have formed around our food and making changes to those not so good habits is the right approach. We need to change how we feel about food mentally and physically and also what our mindset is when it comes to food.
It is not just about what you eat, it is also about how you eat
This is about being aware and planning out what you are eating as well as your eating habits and how those are actually affecting you being able to reach your goals.
I know there is so much delicious food that is readily accessible to us all the time that is hard to resist. Most of us are home all day with food right there that is easy to grab when we are hungry or craving something sweet. So how are we supposed to have self control and say no to it all?
Well, I am here to tell you that you can enjoy tasty, delicious food and still be healthy. Without crash dieting or spending a ton of money or time in the gym or giving up your favorite foods.
The Forever Weight Loss Method
Trust me I have tried all of the gimmicks and weight loss methods out there and none of it works, but this forever weight loss method will work long term, forever and ever. Why? Because pairing what you eat, with better eating habits is the way you will lose weight and keep it off for the rest of your life. A method that will have you reaching your goals in no time at all!
Oh, and you can still enjoy that glass of wine for dinner or that piece of cake on your birthday and not completely go off track.
This is not a gimmick diet or secret method to losing weight and being healthier. It is simply a lifestyle change that anyone can do that you can start right now.
Are you ready? It is so simple and easy to do that you will be shocked that you never tried this before. So read on to learn more about how to apply this amazing Forever Weight Loss Method that you can start doing right now!
Applying this method will take a little shift in your mindset (more tips on that later in this article) and a bit of effort, to make some healthy lifestyle changes. These changes can all be done without spending a lot of money or time to do it. Eventually these new habits will become so normal to you that you will lose the weight, feel mazing and keep it off for the rest of your life.
This method is all about healthy eating habits that have been proven to work for almost anyone when consistently followed. Applying this method to your daily life will not only help you look and feel better but they will help you perform at your optimal level everyday of your life.
If you want to know more about the 7 simple little changes you can make today to improve you healthy eating habits to reach your ideal weight and keep it off forever then read on folks.
7 Healthy Eating Habits to Start today – The Forever Weight Loss Method
1. Eat more fruits and veggies
Yes, I know this one is obvious or maybe not to everyone but the very best way to start eating better is to consume more fruits and veggies. Especially the green ones like spinach, kale, broccoli, cucumber, zucchini, asparagus and fresh herbs like parsley, basil, and cilantro.
Why is this so important?
- Fruits and veggies provide vital nutrients that our bodies need to function and feel our best because they contain key vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
- Fiber in these foods will keep you fuller longer since it digests slower which will make you feel less hungry, causing you to consume fewer unnecessary calories.
- Foods like fruits and veggies are lower in calories and fat which is why including them in your diet can help you lose weight and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Trust me it is way easier than you think. Consuming at least 3 servings of veggies and 2 small servings of fruit per day, preferably berries, banana, kiwi and citrus fruits will impact your weight loss goals almost immediately. Plus you will have more energy, sleep better and experience the mood boosting benefits these foods provide as well.
Easy Tips For Eating More Fruits and Vegetables
- Add some greens to your morning routine by chopping up some fresh herbs or spinach and adding them into your eggs or sauté them and eat them as a side with your toast and coffee. A Simple Green Smoothie or this Mixed Berry Smoothie are also other delicious ways to get those fruits in veggies in earlier in the day. Plus you can take them on the go!
- Have a cup of berries with some peanut butter or almond butter toast or as an addition to your cereal or oatmeal for breakfast.
- Order a big salad for lunch with all of the fixings like chopped veggies, protein of your choice like chicken or chickpeas, grains like rice or quinoa, some nuts for crunch and a drizzle of your favorite dressing. Yum!
- Pack some chopped veggies and hummus and an apple to snack on in between meals. So effective and very easy to do. Even better, pair some apple slices with some almond butter for a delicious and filling afternoon snack.
- Easily add some diced carrots or bell peppers to your favorite tomato sauce for topping dishes like pasta and pizza. Better yet add some sliced onions, peppers or mushrooms to your pizza for your next pizza night for more nutrition. This is also a great way to get your kids to eat more veggies too! Check out this Tomato Sauce With Fresh Vegetables and Basil for an easy homemade sauce recipe.
2. Practice mindful eating
What is mindful eating? Mindful eating is eating only when you are truly hungry and stopping when you feel satisfied but not to the point of being full. Basically listening to your body for hunger cues as well as cues that you have had enough nourishment so you can stop eating. It is also one of the easiest healthy eating habits you can start doing right away.
Although this is fairly easy to do, it does require a slight change to your mindset to implement. I actually do this but have had to tell myself constantly that I am no longer hungry or stop myself from taking just one more bite of my food.
It’s all about being present and focusing on why you need to to eat and being grateful that you have yummy food to eat rather then just scarfing down your food.
Mindful eating truly is a game changer if you can try to listen to your body and accept the food as fuel and nourishment, which is the way we were meant to enjoy food anyways.
It is very much like the way that children eat. They really only eat when they are hungry, no matter what time of day it is and they stop eating when they have had enough. So we can actually learn from our own children with this one.
To learn more about Mindful Eating, check out this Mindful Eating Fact Sheet from the Spoon Guru.
3. Take your time and eat slower
Eat slower and take the time to enjoy your food even if it is just an apple. This means no devouring your breakfast sandwich during your morning commute. Try to add in enough time in the morning to sit down and enjoy a good meal, if you are a breakfast person. Starting your day with a sense of nourishment will fuel you up and help you make better choices throughout the rest of the day. This is one of my favorite healthy eating habits.
Put your fork or spoon down in between bites, put down your phone or tablet and don’t eat while watching TV. You will eat faster and consume more food if you are not paying attention. I know this one is tough for all of us Netflix binge watching folks but if you stick to this one, you will see a drastic change in your waistline. Most of us eat way more food then our bodies actually need because we are doing something else while we are eating. If we simply slow down and enjoy our food, focusing on how delicious it is then we would actually eat only what we need rather than over consuming and gaining weight.
Also, siting down while you eat actually helps you digest food better which will help reduce bloating and stomach cramps later in the day. Enjoy your food while you eat it. Eating is something that should bring us joy in our lives and is an activity that we get to enjoy daily. So go enjoy it!
4. Eat real foods and less processed foods
This one is so important. I know it is hard to resist the chips, crackers, cookies and all of the kids snacks but you can do it. Eating more whole foods with less processed ingredients will change how you look and feel immediately. Plus, whole foods are lower in sugar and high calorie oils that are likely causing you to gain rather than lose weight. Cutting back on packaged and frozen foods is widely effective.
Expert Tips for cutting back on processed foods
Here are some tips and tricks that you can start using today to help combat this along with some easy healthier swaps to help you avoid those more processed foods that are harming your weight loss progress.
- Give your kitchen and pantry a healthy overhaul. Take an inventory of your kitchen and pantry and get rid of the foods that are bad for you and are tempting to eat. Then get them out of the house. This is a play on the whole, “out of site, out of mind” thing and it works. I know the kids still need their snacks, so this one is harder for us parents. Try to keep snacks on hand that your kids like but that you know you will not be tempted by. You can also offer the kids healthier options like fruit, nuts, veggies and smoothies as snacks instead. Then everyone is eating better which is a win for the whole family.
- Shop the outer perimeter of the grocery store. I love this one and it something I have pretty much always done for years. Skipping the snack aisles, frozen food aisle (of course get some frozen veggies), the ice cream aisle, soda aisle, all the aisles will provide less temptation and force you to focus on the healthy lean proteins, fresh fruits and veggies and healthy snacks you can fill your grocery cart with that will keep you on track.
- Make a list of healthy snacks and meals and only shop from that list. More tips on this below but making a list and sticking to only purchasing and eating the foods on that list is something that will 100% work if you can stick to it and you can. You can also do this with your kids. Every week create a list of foods they want to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks for the week and only buy those foods. Agree that that is what they will eat all week long. It’s a huge time-saver and creates less meal time battles with the kids. Plus being an example to your kids goes a long way. Show them your list then help them make their own. Make it fun by using fun paper and letting them draw and color some fruits and veggies around the list. My kids love this one and it get’s them excited about what they will be eating.
- Read nutrition labels. There are a lot of hidden ingredients in our food so it is so important to read the nutrition labels so you know exactly what you are putting into your body. Here is a great article on how to properly read nutritional labels.
5. Drink more water – a healthy eating habit we should all do more
Yes, I know we have all heard this one before but it is true. Sometimes when we think we are hungry, when we are actually just thirsty. So when you are feeling hungry drink a glass of water first and the hunger will likely go away or you may need to eat but you will eat less.
6. Treat yourself
I know, you thought I was going to say not sweets or desserts but we are all human and need a little treat once in a while and that is okay. If you deprive yourself completely then you will end up binging on sugar or going way overboard at some point.
Here is a list of healthy dessert ideas to keep you on track by still treating yourself once in a while or daily if you need it. Of course if you really want to eat that slice of cake then do it and don’t give yourself a hard time about it. You should allow yourself to indulge once in a while. Just don’t make a habit of it.
- 15 Minute Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Healthy Chocolate Protein Shake
- Healthy Black Bean Avocado Brownies
7. Plan and prep your food
This one is so simple but most of us don’t do it consistently but it has proven to work over and over again. If you ask anyone that has been successful at losing weight and keeping it off I most of the time they will say they planned and prepped their meals.
Now I am not talking about slaving in the kitchen every Sunday preparing every single thing you are going to eat all week.
What I am talking about is simply writing a list of what you would enjoy eating for the week and shopping only from that list. Then determine what you can prepare in advance so it is ready to go when you want to eat it.
Below are some examples of items you can prepare to have ready all week long for quick and easy meals.
Cook some protein like chicken or turkey to have it ready for bowls, salads, sandwiches, wraps , tacos or pizza.
Healthy Protein packed meals you can make in no time at all!
- Healthy Turkey Burgers
- Simple Instant Pot Turkey Chili
- 10 Minute Curry Chicken Salad
- Healthy Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Prep your veggies. Especially if you buy kale. Wash it, chop it and store it, then it is ready to go! I like to chop up some carrot and celery sticks for quick snacking as well as bell peppers for stir frys and soups.
Make a batch of soup. Soup has been know to fill you up on fewer calories so it is a great snack or side for any meal during the week. Make a big batch of your favorite soup on Sunday and keep it all week as a quick go to meal or side dish.
Here are some crazy good soups you may want to try!
Cook some starches and grains. Having roasted potatoes, squash, and cooked rice or quinoa ready to go in the fridge is a such a time saver. When you have theses foods ready to go you can easily add them to omelettes or salads or just to enjoy as a quick snack.
Rice and quinoa are great for grain bowls, in burgers as a replacement for breadcrumbs or inside a burrito for a super quick and hearty meal.
Here are a few ideas for cooking with potatoes, squash and grains
- Easy Roasted Butternut Squash
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos
- Healthy Salmon Quinoa Burgers from
- Sweet Potato Buddha Bowl With Black Beans
- Healthy Grain Bowls – 3 ways
All of these amazing healthy eating habits are simple, straightforward things you can do with little effort or money that will drastically change the the way you look and feel everyday of your life!
Pairing these healthy eating habits with a good exercise routine will also make it much easier to lose weight and keep it off, even if it is just light walking or running a few days per week.
Remember, our bodies were made to move, not sit at a desk all day. So get up and get moving whenever you can!
The Bottom line
If it seems too hard or overwhelming to do all of these at once, then just start small with one or two new healthy eating habits and add on as you go. That is what this method is all about.
Even one new change will have an impact and that will make you want to make other changes as well, trust me!
This is not a fad diet, these are lifestyle changes that will simply improve your life and make you happier, healthier and better.
Reflect on your current eating habits, make some of these small but impactful changes and then regularly reinforce these new healthy eating habits. Be patient and kind to yourself and if you get off track, know that it is okay as long as you get back on track quickly and keep going. Nobody is perfect!