This Chocolate Protein Shake is packed with protein and is perfectly chocolatey and creamy like a chocolate shake. Made with only 4 ingredients in 5 minutes. Enjoy it as a healthy snack, or breakfast treat that even the kids will love! Vegan and gluten-free!
I love a good protein shake that helps me get my protein in if I need it, especially post-workout. This Healthy Chocolate Protein shake is my go-to!
It tastes super creamy and chocolatey but is packed with almost 20 grams of protein and feels like I am indulging in a milkshake. My kids even love it and request me to make it all the time! They are also obsessed with this date shake which is also a wonderful healthy sweet treat!
It only requires a few simple ingredients and a little planning ahead (frozen bananas are a must!).
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Super easy and can be made in less than 5 minutes (if you have frozen bananas ready to go!)
- Filling and so satisfying! A great option to kick those sweet cravings!
- Kid-friendly – my kids actually prefer this chocolate protein shake rather than eating ice cream sometimes.
- The BEST post-workout treat that is made from real, wholesome ingredients.
- Packed with protein and healthy fat!
- Naturally sweetened!
- Tastes like a chocolate shake made a little healthier without any dairy or added sugar.
Ingredients you will need
- Frozen bananas – this is a must in this recipe! I like to freeze 3-4 bananas at a time and keep them in the freezer. You will need to freeze the bananas for at least 8 hours for this recipe. Tip: Slicing the bananas before you freeze them will help them blend more easily.
- Chocolate protein powder – I used a vegan protein powder but any chocolate protein powder will work in this recipe. Since it is a key ingredient, make sure to use a high-quality protein powder that tastes good. Preferably one you have tried before.
- Milk – I prefer to use unsweetened almond or coconut milk in my protein shakes and smoothies but you can use any milk you like. It’s up to you!
- Peanut butter – creamy peanut butter or almond butter work best. You can also use sun butter if you need to keep this recipe nut-free, or you can omit the nut butter and it will still be delicious!
Here are some additional things to add to a chocolate protein shake to increase the protein and nutrition even more.
- Chia seeds
- Flax seeds
- Frozen cherries
- Frozen riced cauliflower – trust me you cannot taste it and it adds a good amount of fiber.
- Kale – frozen kale is best but will change the color of this smoothie.
How to make a Chocolate Protein Shake
- First things first, you must use frozen bananas. This is super easy to do: once the bananas look ripe (skin is turning slightly brown), peel and chop them up into pieces, place them into a freezer-friendly ziplock bag, seal it and freeze them for at least 8 hours. They will keep in the freezer for up to 30 days so you can prepare this way in advance to have on hand.
- When ready to make: Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend for 30 seconds.
3. Pour into glasses end DIG IN! We like to top this chocolate shake with some whipped cream and mini chocolate chips for a fun healthy dessert or treat!
Tips for making delicious protein shakes
- Freeze your bananas in advance so you always have them on hand to make this speedy protein shake. I basically just cut the bananas into 1-2 inch pieces. A great job for the kids to help out with since they can break it apart using their hands and just place it into a freezer-friendly bag. Freeze for at least 8 hours or up to 30 days.
- Use a good quality protein powder – I prefer plant-based protein powders that you can find online or in most grocery stores for a decent price. Make sure it is made with as many whole ingredients as possible with little to no added sugar.
- Use any type of milk you like – I opted for almond milk in this recipe but you can use oat milk, hemp milk, soy, or regular cow’s milk.
- Add in some greens – frozen avocado, spinach, or kale all work as nice additions to this recipe. Note: Adding greens will result in a slightly green tint to the color of the shake but it will still be crazy good!
- Use a high-speed blender to blend the ingredients until smooth. Frozen bananas blend well but work best if blended using high power. I like to use my Vitamix but any high-speed blender will work fine.
- If you prefer your protein shakes to have the taste and texture of a Wendy’s frosty then skip the peanut butter and use a little bit less milk and a little bit more frozen banana.
Are Chocolate Protein Shakes Good For You?
Not all protein shakes are good for you since some can be loaded with extra fat and sugar. Especially premade shakes. This protein shake is healthier since it is made with wholesome ingredients, contains no added sugar, is dairy-free, and has a good amount of healthy fat. Plus it is DELICIOUS!
Are Chocolate Protein Shakes Good For Weight Loss?
This depends on what you put in your shake but in general, chocolate protein shakes can aid in weight loss. This is because they are packed with protein and vitamins and you can easily sneak in some veggies, fruits, seeds (like chia seeds), and other nutritious foods into them. When blended together they can taste really good and keep you fuller longer.
More healthy treats to try!
- Healthy Pumpkin Protein Muffins
- Protein Cookie Dough Bites
- Cherry Banana Smoothie
- Healthy Fudgy Brownies
Questions? Leave a comment below!
Like this recipe? Leave a comment below!
Made this recipe? Leave a comment and rating below!Print