Nutritious kale and sweet potato mixed with fluffy, protein packed eggs, herbs and cheese perfectly baked into this super healthy frittata that you can make for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Ready in 15 minutes!!! Vegetarian and Gluten-Free.
It’s a happy day any day I get to eat some eggs for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Eggs are a staple in our house and this Kale Sweet Potato Onion Frittata is literally one of the easiest breakfasts or even dinners to make. Even during the week I can pull this together in less than 10 minutes as long as I have my prepped kale and cooked sweet potato in the fridge, which I usually do.
The sweetness from the potato matched with the crispy kale, onions, soft eggs and cheese is a perfect match of flavors. Its great for leftovers as well since it reheats quickly and tastes just as good.
So what about eggs? Are they good for you?
Here is what I have learned about eggs (especially in this Kale Sweet Potato Onion Frittata) over the past few years as I have gone strictly vegan for over a year, been vegetarian, pescatarian, all of the things. Eggs are a great source of protein, very versatile and are vegetarian and gluten free which is a bonus. They contain mostly protein and good fat and can be used in so many, many, many ways. Some people need them in their diet (i.e ME) since their bodies cannot tolerate an egg-free diet since eggs contain most of the essential nutrients our bodies need. Check out this cool article I found about the benefits of eating eggs.
- Vitamins A, B and D (one of the only foods that contain natural Vitamin D)
- Selenium (helps the body fight chronic disease)
So, yes, in my opinion eggs are good for you and they are delicious and can be used in so many ways. Although if you cannot tolerate an egg-free diet then there are plenty of other foods that you can eat to ensure you are getting all of the right nutrients you need. Really, eating Whole Foods is the way to go! I like eggs because they are easy to cook and cook with and are just so versatile.
Check out some of my favorite recipes using eggs.
Now that we cleared that up, let’s get to making this Kale Sweet Potato Onion Frittata
I started with cooking the beautiful sweet potato, onions and kale. Ingredients that are so full of crazy nutrition and are just DELICIOUS!
Then I just added the whisked eggs to the kale and potato and cooked it for few minutes before I popped in into the oven to finish cooking, so easy and such a satisfying and nutritious meal.
This took me 10-15 minutes to make! I love it! Proof that as long as you have a plan you can make a healthy meal in minutes!
You can store this easy Kale Sweet Potato and Onion Frittata in the fridge for up to 3 days and it is just as good!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 medium sweet potato diced
- 1 cup of thinly sliced kale
- 9 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk or water
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat up a cast iron pan with some olive oil and add in the onion and sweet potato with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes until the potatoes start to brown a little and cook through. Add the kale and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Meanwhile, crack the eggs into a medium size mixing bowl and whisk, add in the milk and some salt and pepper to season.
- Add the chives to the eggs and stir.
- Pour the eggs over the kale and sweet potato and loosen the edge of the pan with a rubber spatula. Let that cook for 3-4 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Top with the parmesan cheese.
- Place the frittata into the oven and bake for 5-6 minutes until the center is firm.
- Remove from oven, slice and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 173 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 283mg Sodium: 247mg Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Protein: 12g