Crispy chickpeas are so simple to make with only 3 ingredients and they are a wonderful, perfectly crispy, healthy snack. They are seasoned with spicy taco seasoning and are both vegan and gluten free!
These Crispy Chickpeas baked with taco spices are my new go-to when I need a protein-packed snack or some additional crunch added to my salads. It’s something I can keep in my fridge and grab anytime when I am craving something salty and crunchy, which is all the time!
I love these healthy crispy chickpeas because you can enjoy them rather than snacking on crackers or chips, which is great because they are loaded with nutrition, making them a much higher quality snack.
This recipe only has 3 ingredients and takes about 20 minutes to make! Yesssssss Pleassssse! I love the bold seasoning matched with the crispy shell and tender center of the chickpeas. It is just a beautiful thing and nutritious too! Perfect for Taco Tuesdays as an addition to a rice bowl, tacos or even a hearty chicken Taco salad.
Are chickpeas good for you?
Absolutely! Chickpeas are packed with a long list of nutrients and are also a great source of plant-based protein!
- High in fiber
- Helps control blood sugar
- Helps protect against heart disease and other ailments
- High in iron
- Good for weight-loss
The list goes on, read some more health benefits of eating chickpeas here.
Also, some of the healthiest countries in the world consume chickpeas as part of their diet at least 3 times per week! Lucky for me since they are one of my favorite foods!
Ingredients needed to make crispy chickpeas
How to make crispy chickpeas
Start with the chickpeas. I just used store-bought canned chickpeas.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and place them into a medium-size mixing bowl. Drizzle the chickpeas with some olive oil and add in the taco seasoning. Toss the chickpeas in the seasoning to thoroughly coat them.
- Pour the seasoned chickpeas onto the baking sheet and shake the pan a little to spread them out on the pan in an even layer.
- Place the chickpeas on the middle rack in the preheated oven and cook them for 20-25 minutes, tossing them at least once during cooking so they get nice and crispy on all sides.
- Remove, let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
Getting them perfectly crispy
To get the chickpeas perfectly crispy so you don’t end up with soggy chickpeas, it is important to dry them really well before adding any oil or seasoning. You also want to spread them out evenly on the pan so they are not overlapping so all sides of the chickpeas get nice and crispy.
The final important step to super crispy chickpeas is to allow them to cook long enough to get nice and crispy and stay that way. Cooking them between 20-25 minutes is the perfect amount of time for them to crisp up and become the best healthy, crunchy snack ever!
How to store these chickpeas
These crispy healthy chickpeas are best if eaten right away but you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheat them in the microwave or oven when ready to eat.
What other types of seasoning could you use?
You could use ranch seasoning, everything bagel seasoning or just a combo of garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin. All of them are all DELICIOUS! Just use the same method and swap the taco seasoning with whatever you have on hand.
How to make Crispy Chickpeas in the air fryer
You can also make this easy chickpea recipe in the air fryer!
- Heat the air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas really well then dry them out on a clean towel.
- Toss the chickpeas in 1 tablespoon olive oil, and then add the taco seasoning and toss to coat them really well.
- Spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray and pour the chickpeas into the air fryer basket in an even layer. Cook them for 12-15 minutes, shaking halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove and enjoy nice and warm and super crispy.
More Healthy Chickpea Recipes:
- Easy Hummus Wrap with Chickpeas
- Simple Chickpea Cauliflower Burger
- Roasted Mediterranean Cauliflower Rice – With Chickpeas
- Air Fryer Falafel
- Easy Crispy Oven Roasted Chickpeas
- Make sure you rinse the chickpeas really well before you season them and dry them on a clean towel or just pat them dry with a clean towel before coating them.
- Mix them in the oil before adding the taco seasoning so it sticks really well to the chickpeas.
- Toss the chickpeas at least one time during cooking so they get nice and crispy on all sides.
Did you make this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear from you!Print