Whole seasoned crispy chickpeas tossed with spicy taco seasoning and pan-roasted in olive oil to crispy perfection. A great healthy snack or topping for a salad. Only three ingredients and ready in less than 15 minutes!
Taco Seasoned Crispy Chickpeas are my new go-to when I need a protein-packed snack or some additional crunch added to my salads. It’s something I can keep in my fridge and grab anytime when I am craving something crunchy.
Better than snacking on crackers and packed with a long list of nutrients. My kind of food!
This recipe only has three ingredients and takes about 15 minutes to make! Yesssssss Pleassssse! I love the bold seasoning matched with the crispy shell and tender center of the chickpeas. It is just a beautiful thing and nutritious too!
Are chickpeas good for you?
Absolutely! They are packed with a long list of nutrients and are also a great source of plant-based protein!
- High in fiber
- Helps control blood sugar
- Helps protect against heart disease and other ailments
- High in iron
- Good for weight-loss
The list goes on, read some more health benefits of eating chickpeas here.
Also, some of the healthiest countries in the world consume chickpeas as part of their diet at least 3 times per week! Lucky for me since they are one of my favorite foods!
I have several recipes using chickpeas. Check out this amazing Cauliflower Chickpea Burger that is so delicious and packed full of good for you ingredients. Or this Chickpea chicken salad that is a go-to quick recipe I make all the time.
How to make Crispy Chickpeas
There are a few ways to cook chickpeas to get them to your desired crispy, crunchy state.
- Cook them in a cast-iron pan with some oil on the stovetop – the method I used for this recipe.
- Bake them in the oven – a method a lot of people use to get the chickpeas pretty crispy but sometimes they end up slightly dry if you don’t watch them carefully.
- Fry them – A method I don’t use but many restaurants cook them this way. That is why they are so good when you get them on top of salads or just as an appetizer.
How to make these Taco Seasoned Crispy Chickpeas
Start with the chickpeas. I just used store-bought canned chickpeas.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, drizzle them with olive oil, add in the taco seasoning and toss to thoroughly coat them all.
- Heat a cast-iron or heavy-bottomed pan on the stovetop with some olive oil.
- Pour the chickpeas into the pan and toss to coat them in the oil.
- Cook for 7-9 minutes until they are nice and crispy brown, tossing them as they cook, so they get nice and crispy on all sides. Add in an extra drizzle of olive oil if they start to look dry or start sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve immediately as a warm snack or topping on a salad.
How to store crispy chickpeas
You can store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheat them in a pan when ready to eat but they are best if eaten right away.
What other types of seasoning could you use?
You could use ranch seasoning, everything bagel seasoning or just a combo of garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin. All of them are all DELICIOUS! Just use the same method and swap the taco seasoning with whatever you have on hand.
How to make Crispy Chickpeas in the air fryer
- Heat the air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas (15oz can)
- Toss the chickpeas in 1 tablespoon olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1 teaspoon ground cumin.
- Drop the chickpeas into the air fryer basket and cook for 12-15 minutes, shaking halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove and enjoy nice and warm and super crispy.