Creamy Vegan Asparagus Soup made with nutritious asparagus sautéed with onions, garlic and spices mixed in with potatoes and creamy coconut milk and blended into one of the best soups EVER!!!!
Creamy Vegan Asparagus Soup! Can you believe it? This Vegan Asparagus Soup is made with simple ingredients, comes together quickly, is super creamy and oh so dreamy. It has an incredible punch of flavor combined with a silky texture that will surprise you and have you sharing this recipe like it is your job. Haha!
Nutritious asparagus sautéed with onions, garlic and spices mixed in with potatoes and creamy coconut milk and blended into one of the best soups EVER!!!! A recipe so good that my husband ate bowls and bowls of it and he doesn’t even like asparagus. How’s that for a healthy, delicious soup the family will devour?
So why is Asparagus good for you?
We hear it all of the time. Eat asparagus at least once a week, it is so good for you! Okay, I get it, it’s a vegetable so it’s healthy right? Yes, that’s true but asparagus has some crazy pumped up health benefits that are pretty amazing!
- It’s packed full of vitamins like A, C, E and K
- Contains a lot of key minerals like iron, folate, calcium, fiber and even protein
- Low in fat and calories (obviously since it is a green veggie)
- Full of antioxidants
- Helps with bloating
- Great food for weight loss due to the fiber that can help you stay fuller longer
Check this site out for more nutrition and the benefits of eating asparagus.
When is asparagus in season?
Asparagus has a short season from mid-February to the end of May but if you make this soup you can freeze it and enjoy this nutritious vegan asparagus soup recipe all year round. Of course, you can buy asparagus at most grocery stores all year but it is less expensive and more delicious when it is in season, like right now.
How to make this delicious Vegan Asparagus Soup
- Saute some onions and garlic in some olive oil and a little vegan butter until it is nice and golden brown. Literally one the best smells in the kitchen!
- Then toss in the chopped asparagus. All of it! Ends included. No wasting ingredients here.
- Saute that all together for a few minutes then add in the diced potato, spices and season with salt and pepper. Let that cook for a few minutes to wake up the spices ( I used adobo, onion powder, chili powder and dried basil).
- Pour in the vegetable stock and season with more salt and pepper.
- Let that all come to a boil then simmer on low for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add in the nutritional yeast seasoning and coconut milk and stir.
- Use an immersion blender to blend it all up until it is silky and smooth. So good!!!!
So easy right?
I almost don’t want to admit how simple this is to make since it looks so fancy and tastes like you spent hours slaving over the stove. Don’t worry I won’t tell anyone it took less than half an hour to make. It will be our little secret.
What goes with asparagus soup?
I also love these crackers, one of my new food obsessions.
How to freeze asparagus soup
One of the best things about this soup is that it stores and freezes so well!
To refrigerate this soup you want to make sure you let it cool completely and then place it into an airtight container and store it in the fridge for up to 4 days. Then you can have it all week for quick healthy meals or snacks.
To freeze this asparagus soup just place it in an airtight, freezer-friendly container, label it and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months. You can also pour the soup into ice cube trays, freeze, remove from the ice cube trays, place it into a freezer-friendly container and freeze for up to 6 months.
To reheat just let it defrost in the refrigerator and then reheat right in a pan on a stovetop. Yay for freezer meals!!!
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and rating below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!
Creamy Vegan Asparagus Soup
- Dutch oven or Large Soup Pot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 bunch of asparagus
- 3 new potatoes diced
- 1 tbsp adobo seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast seasoning
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- juice of 1 lemon about 1 tablespoon or more if you really like hints of lemon
- Heat up a medium-size pot or dutch oven on the stovetop with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the diced onion to the pot with the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until the onions are nice and golden brown.
- Add the garlic to the pot and stir. Cook for 1 minute and then add the 1 tablespoon vegan butter. Sauté for 2-3 minutes and then add in the chopped asparagus.
- Stir the asparagus with the onions and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes and then add in the diced potatoes, adobo, onion powder, chili powder and dried basil. Toss that all together and cook for 1 more minute to wake up the spices and bring out their flavor.
- Pour in the veggie stock and season with more salt and pepper if needed. Cover and bring everything to a boil and then simmer on low for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add in the 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast seasoning and coconut milk and stir.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it is silky and creamy. It took me about 2-3 minutes. You could also blend this up in a Vitamix or high-speed blender.
- Add in a fresh squeeze of lemon juice. Serve in a bowl and top with fresh herbs or croutons.