This healthy Tzatziki sauce recipe is light, tangy and so creamy, and refreshing. You can make it in 10 minutes with only a few ingredients and enjoy it with fresh veggies and pita chips. It makes the best healthy appetizer or snack.
I love TZATZIKI and this healthy Tzatziki sauce is a dip that everyone will enjoy! It’s creamy, light, and a little tangy with gorgeous fresh diced cucumber and dill for extra flavor and crunch. Serve it with chopped fresh veggies, naan bread, or pita wedges.
What is Tzatziki Sauce?
Tzatziki is a yogurt-based creamy sauce/dip that combines plain greek yogurt with diced cucumber, garlic, lemon, and dill, usually topped with a drizzle of olive oil. It originated in the Middle East and is typically made with a goat’s milk-based yogurt but in this recipe, it is made with plain greek yogurt since it is more accessible.
I actually love the greek yogurt in this Tzatziki recipe since it is low in fat and contains extra protein.
Healthy Tzatziki sauce ingredients
- Greek yogurt – plain greek yogurt. You can use nonfat or regular greek yogurt.
- Cucumber – I recommend using English seedless cucumber since it contains fewer seeds and is easier to work with.
- Lemon – fresh lemon is best but bottled lemon juice will also work in a pinch.
- Dill – fresh dill is best or dried dill if that is all that you have on hand.
- Garlic – fresh garlic or garlic paste will work.
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil.
- Salt and pepper – used to enhance all of the flavors.
How to make homemade healthy tzatziki sauce
- Place the diced cucumber in a strainer over a bowl and sprinkle it with some salt. Let it sit for a few minutes to extract any excess moisture, then pat it lightly with a clean paper towel.
- Then add the greek yogurt, cucumber, and the rest of the ingredients to a medium-sized bowl and mix it all together until it is combined into a creamy sauce.
- Top with more fresh dill, some ground black pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Serve cold with pita chips, naan, or fresh chopped veggies.
Is tzatziki healthy?
Yes, tzatziki is a healthy dip that can be enjoyed as a sauce with a delicious meal like falafel or greek meatballs or as a dip with fresh veggies. It is low in calories and fat and is made with all fresh, healthy ingredients that contain protein, calcium, and vitamins.
All of these make this delicious sauce great for weight loss when enjoyed as part of a healthy, balanced diet.
There are so many ways to enjoy this delicious recipe. Here are a few of my favorite ways to serve it.
Do you have to use cucumber in tzatziki sauce?
Cucumber is one of the main components of tzatziki sauce so if you are not a fan or cannot have cucumber then maybe try this green goddess dressing instead.
Is Tzatziki healthier than hummus?
This depends on what you consider healthy based on your own dietary needs. Both tzatziki and hummus are fairly healthy dips, especially if you make your own at home. Hummus is dairy free and usually vegan so it is healthy if you make homemade hummus.
Tzatziki sauce does contain dairy but if you use low-fat or fat-free greek yogurt it does contain fewer calories, fat, and carbohydrates than hummus. Either way, they are both great healthy dips to enjoy as a healthy snack.
How to store Tzatziki sauce?
This sauce stores great in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
How long does homemade Tzatziki last?
If stored properly, this Tzatziki will last up to 3 days.
- You can use full-fat, reduced-fat, or fat-free plain Greek Yogurt in this recipe, I used organic Chobani plain greek yogurt (not sponsored). I also like the Fage brand.
- Use an English seedless cucumber if you can find one since it will be easier to dice and contains less water than regular cucumbers.
- Do not skip the step for prepping the cucumber or you will end up with a more runny, wet sauce/dip.
- For the best results, use fresh lemon and lemon zest as well as fresh dill. If you cannot find those ingredients then bottled lemon juice and dried dill will work but it just won’t taste as zesty and fresh.
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print