These Air Fryer Crispy Smashed Potatoes are so good and super easy to make in only a few simple steps. They make the perfect side dish to any meal or even a quick and healthy appetiser or snack. Vegan, Gluten Free and so insanely delicious.
- 1 pound baby Yukon Gold potatoes – you can also use baby red potatoes or a medley
- 1–2 tablespoons Avocado oil or olive oil – you can also use cooking spray to keep the calorie on the lower side
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Prep the potatoes. You will need to pre-boil the potatoes first so they are nice and soft so you can easily smash them. To do this, fill a large pot with water and bring it to a boil. Add some salt for flavour and then add the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the potatoes until they are fork tender. Then drain them from the water.
- Smash the potatoes. Transfer the potatoes to a lined baking sheet and use a round glass or mason jar to gently smash each potato to about 1/2 an inch in thickness.
- Season. In a small bowl combine the avocado oil with the garlic powder, salt and pepper and then brush the mixture all over the tops and edges of each of the potatoes.
- Cook. Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Working in batches place the potatoes into the bottom of the air fryer basket, carefully so they don’t break apart. Close the air fryer basket and cook the potatoes for 11-13 minutes. You can flip them halfway but I found it to cause some of them to break and they still get super crispy without flipping them.
- Serve. Once the potatoes are done cooking, place them onto a tray or plate and sprinkle them with more salt and pepper. These are best if eaten right away with a dipping sauce like some Homemade Pesto or Green Goddess Dressing.
- Use small-medium size baby potatoes. You can use Yukon Gold, red potatoes, purple potatoes or a medley.
- Boil the potatoes before smashing them. This may seem obvious but it is important to note this step or it will be almost impossible to smash them before cooking them.
- Don’t smash them too much. You really want to lightly press the glass or mason jar down on top of each potato so they are still about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cook the potatoes in batches so you can place them in the air fryer in a single layer. This will ensure they all get nice and crispy on all sides.
- You can store these potatoes once they have fully cooled in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Reheat them in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 3-4 minutes.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Category: Healthy Side Dishes
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American