This is a Simple Homemade Pesto Recipe that comes together in less than 5 minutes and is packed with incredible flavor. Basil, lemon, garlic, pistachios, parmesan, olive oil, salt, and pepper make up this amazing sauce. It makes a perfect topping on pizza, pasta, or even sandwiches.
This is one of the easiest Homemade Pesto Recipes you can make and store in the refrigerator to have on hand for so many OTHER recipes during the week. It is similar to this easy incredible beet pesto that is also crazy good and SO good for you!
Making your own pesto is quite easy and is great for meal prep since it stores for up to 5 days in the refrigerator for topping on chicken breast, fish, pasta and pizza.
My favorite uses for this Easy Homemade Pesto Sauce are obviously pasta but also on pizza and sandwiches. It also makes a great finish to any bowl of soup! A little thing I like to add that seems to bring an element of surprise every time!
The fresh herby taste of the basil and then the garlic and lemon in the background make this a homemade pesto sauce recipe one that you cannot wait to make. Oh, and if you feel like reaching for the store-bought version, you never will again once you try this super easy recipe!
Why you will love this recipe
- You can make it in 5 minutes or less
- It stores great so it is a perfect meal prep recipe
- Great for topping on salads, soups, sandwiches, meat, pasta and pizza
- It also works as a great dip for veggies and pita chips
- Packed with nutrition like vitamins A and C
- This is a pesto recipe without any pine nuts!
What is pesto?
Pesto is a bright green sauce made with mostly fresh basil leaves, garlic, nuts, parmesan cheese, lemon and olive oil. It originated in Italy to use as a topping on pasta and pizza.
Traditionally pesto is blended by adding all ingredients to a bowl and breaking it down with a mortar and pestle. This recipe is made a little easier by using a food processor to blend the ingredients.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
How to Make Homemade Basil Pesto Sauce
- Add fresh basil, garlic, lemon, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper to a food processor and pulse while streaming in the olive oil.
- Once combined, add in the nuts and pulse a few more times to incorporate them in the sauce.
For the full list and amounts of ingredients along with complete recipe instructions, please refer to the recipe card at the end of this post.
How easy was that was? Plus its simply delicious!
Is pesto healthy?
Pesto is made with so many healthy ingredients like fresh basil, bright lemon, olive oil, garlic and pistachios that are packed with vitamins like Vitamin A and C as well as antioxidants.
Pesto is loaded with vibrant flavor and is a great healthy addition to any meal.
Can you freeze Homemade pesto?
Yes you can freeze pesto! The best way to freeze pesto is to omit the oil and use more lemon juice or water to thin out the sauce. Then pour it into ice cube trays and store it in the freezer for up to 6 months.
When ready to use, remove it from the freezer and defrost it in the refrigerator overnight.
Homemade basil pesto recipe tips
- Use fresh basil. Dried basil will not work in this recipe, fresh basil is a must!
- Blend the pesto first then add in the nuts for a slight chunkier pesto
- Make this recipe vegan by using nutritional yeast or vegan parmesan cheese in place of the parmesan cheese
- Store this pesto in an airtight container or jar fitted with a lid and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Delicious ways to use pesto
More healthy sauces and dips to try!
- 5 Minute Creamy Avocado Ranch Dressing
- Homemade Romesco Sauce
- Creamy Green Goddess Dressing
- Homemade San Marzano Tomato Sauce
- Easy Homemade Fresh Tomato Salsa
- Best Hummus Recipe
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please give it a shoutout below by adding a comment and rating.Print