These easy homemade chicken apple sausage patties are quick to make and great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They are made with ground chicken, apple, onion, rosemary, and olive oil. Are gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, and Whole30 and perfect for meal prep!
We love chicken sausages as a protein-packed addition to our breakfast. Although there are some great brands out there with healthy ingredients like Applegate Farms chicken apple sausage, making your own is best!
These are made with healthy fresh ingredients like ground chicken, chunky bits of apple, onion, and rosemary. The result is a well-balanced mix of chicken with hints of sweet apple to create a wonderful savory flavor profile that you will love!
Check out these zucchini sweet potato patties for a vegetarian version of this recipe.
The best part about this chicken sausage recipe is that you can make them in minutes and enjoy them all week long! I love to make a big batch of them on Sunday and serve them all week with some scrambled eggs and fruit for a hearty protein-packed breakfast that is quick to make.
What is in chicken apple sausage?
Chicken apple sausages are usually made from a blend of chicken, apple, onion, spices, natural flavor, and other artificial ingredients to make them extra delicious. In this recipe, we used only a few ingredients with no added sugar and they came out so flavorful. You can usually find chicken sausage links with other processed meats in almost any grocery store, some are found in the frozen food section. We opted to make chicken sausage patties since they are easier to form and cook and they turned out great!
Is Chicken sausage healthy?
The healthiness of chicken sausage largely depends on its ingredients and preparation method. While some commercial brands may contain nitrates and excessive sodium, diminishing their health benefits, homemade chicken apple sausages can be a nutritious choice. Crafted with fresh ingredients, minimal salt, and rich in protein, they are devoid of nitrates and artificial additives.
- What is in chicken apple sausage?
- Is Chicken sausage healthy?
- How To Make Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage Patties
- Recipe tips
- Do I need to peel the apples?
- Serving suggestions
- Storage and reheating
- More Healthy Sausage Recipes
- Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage Patties
- Ground chicken – the star of this recipe. Any brand will work, I used 93/7.
- Apple – fresh apples like gala or Honeycrisp apples but any type of apple is fine.
- Onion – red, white, or yellow onion all work great in this recipe.
- Olive oil – extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper – are used to enhance all of the other flavors.
- Rosemary – fresh or dried rosemary will work and give these chicken patties an amazing herby flavor that makes them taste like sausage.
- Cold water – this is optional but makes the chicken super moist, especially if you are using leaner ground chicken.
*Get the complete list of recipe ingredients and instructions in the recipe card located at the bottom of this post.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Apple Sausage Patties
Step one: add all of the ingredients, ground chicken, apple, onion rosemary, olive oil, salt, and pepper to a large bowl.
Step two: mix well to combine everything.
Step three: form the chicken sausage mixture into 10-12 even-size patties. Mine turned out to be about 2 ounces each and made roughly 11 patties.
Step five: Cook them for about 4-5 minutes, flip, and cook for 2-3 more minutes. Cook in batches if needed, depending on the size of your pan. Place them onto a paper towel-lined plate once they are done.
Step six: serve with your favorite breakfast additions like eggs or potatoes.
- Use a good quality brand of ground chicken with little to no added ingredients. If you cannot find quality ground chicken then you can add raw boneless chicken breast to a food processor and pulse it a few times to make ground chicken. Just make sure to clean your food processor really well afterward.
- Form the patties into even sizes. This recipe will make about 10 patties that are roughly 2 ounces each. Making them the same size will ensure they all cook at the same time.
- Let them cool. This allows the juices to redistribute making them even more moist and delicious.
- Use cold water for moister chicken patties – this is a trick I recently learned. If your meat mixture looks dry then adding 2 tablespoons of cold water or stock will add some moisture back into the meat. This trick also works with ground turkey.
Do I need to peel the apples?
This will depend on personal preference but I did not peel the apples since they add some nice color and extra fiber to the recipe. I also find that the apple skin softens as it cooks so you do not really notice it anyway, which eliminates a step to the recipe. Of course, peel the skin if you like.
This recipe is already gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, and Whole30 but here are a few additional substitutions that work well based on what you have on hand.
- Ground chicken – if you are out of ground chicken or cannot find any then you can also use ground turkey. Or grind your own chicken in the food processor as previously mentioned above. Chicken breasts or chicken thighs will both work.
- Apple – any variety of apple works, you can also use a chopped pear if you do not have any apples.
- Herbs and spices – I used fresh rosemary but fresh or dried sage, garlic, or Italian seasoning would also be delicious.
Chicken sausage patties are so good as is but here are a few variations you may want to try to mix things up.
- Spicy – add chili pepper flakes for spicier chicken sausage.
- Cheesy – add in some feta cheese to add a creamy element if you do not need this recipe to be dairy-free.
- Kid-friendly – leave out the rosemary and use grated onion for the kids.
These chicken apple sausage patties are great with eggs and toast but here are a few other ways to serve them.
Storage and reheating
Store any leftover chicken sausage in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat portions in the microwave or in a pan on the stovetop until warmed through.
More Healthy Sausage Recipes
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
- Air Fryer Chicken Sausage and Veggies
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Veggies
- Sausage and Pepper Breakfast Muffins
- Sausage Baked Sweet Potatoes
Did you try this chicken apple sausage recipe? Please leave a comment and rating below to let me know what you think about it!Print