Pesto Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables – Fluffy quinoa, herby lemony basil pesto, and perfectly roasted veggies all mixed together to form this hearty, satisfying and delicious recipe that is gluten-free, vegetarian and comes together in 30 minutes or less!
I always have quinoa ready to go in my fridge. It has been a staple for my meal prep since I became a mom of two. It is a great ingredient to keep stocked in the fridge, cooked and ready to add to salads, quinoa patties, veggie burgers or mixed in this pesto quinoa with roasted vegetables dish.
You can also replace rice with quinoa in stir-fry’s or eat it as a side dish all on it’s own, flavored with some olive oil and fresh herbs. So may options — all excellent ways to enjoy this protein, packed amino acid powered, delicious, gluten-free grain.
In this recipe, I paired some cooked quinoa with perfectly roasted, tender veggies and herby, lemony, basil pesto. It turned out to be a great combo of ingredients and very easy to throw together. Also, such a great side dish to bring for get- together’s or to have on the table for any meal.
How to make pesto quinoa with roasted veggies
This recipe comes together fairly quickly and can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. How awesome is that?
First things first, roast the veggies. So easy.
- Place all of the veggies in a bowl, drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder and chili powder, and toss.
- Lay them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in a 425 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes and they come out perfect every time!
While the veggies are cooking you can make the quinoa and pesto.
You can make the quinoa or you can use store-bought, pre-cooked quinoa to save some time.
For a low-carb option, you can swap the quinoa with cauliflower rice. You can spread the cauliflower rice onto a baking sheet, drizzle it with olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast it for about 10 minutes with the veggies and then mix it in with the veggies and pesto. So good! Although, If I have the carbs left for the day, I prefer the quinoa of course.
To make the quinoa:
- Add one cup of quinoa to a small-medium size pot.
- Add in 2 cups of vegetable stock or water. I like to use vegetable stock since it helps add flavor to the quinoa while it cooks.
- Bring it to a boil on the stovetop, cover and let it simmer for 12-15 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and season it with salt and pepper.
Make the pesto. So easy and packed with herby, lemony, garlic flavor. You can make it in just a few simple steps.
- Add the basil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a food processor and pulse while streaming in the olive oil.
- Add the pistachios and blend until everything is combined into a silky yet still slightly chunky incredible pesto.
- Combine everything together, quinoa + roasted veggies + pesto and wallah! A pesto quinoa with roasted veggies dish everyone will love.
It’s so good and works perfectly for packing lunch all week long. Add any proteins you like such as chickpeas, chicken, shrimp or even hard-boiled eggs.
For the Roasted Veggies
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped
- 2 medium-size carrots, chopped
- 1 cup fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Quinoa
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
For the Pesto
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons pistachios
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Roast the veggies
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place all of the chopped veggies into a medium-size mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle in the garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt and pepper. Toss to coat all of the veggies.
- Place the veggies in a single layer onto the baking sheet and bake in the middle rack of the oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Cook the quinoa
- Add the dry quinoa to a medium size pot.
- Pour in the veggie stock and stir.
- Bring the quinoa and stock to a boil on the stovetop, cover, reduce to simmer and let that cook for 12-15 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
Make the pesto
- Place all ingredients except the olive oil into a food processor and pulse while drizzling in the olive oil until everything is combined. That's it!
Put it all together
- Pour the quinoa into a large serving bowl, toss in the pesto and stir. Add in the roasted veggies, toss to combine everything and you are ready to serve and ENJOY!
This stores in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container. You can also store the ingredients separately for up to 4 days.
Vegan option: Use vegan parmesan cheese in the pesto.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 223mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 4g Protein: 6g
Try some of these other delicious vegan recipes from Vegan Bits. So easy and really good!