Pesto Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables – Fluffy quinoa, herby lemony basil pesto and perfectly roasted veggies all mixed together to form this hearty, satisfying and delicious recipe that is gluten-free, vegetarian and comes together in 30 minutes or less!
I love quinoa, most do, but sometimes its hard to find new and creative ways to get it into our diet. Am I right? Like this Pesto Quinoa with Roasted vegetable. Its a delicious recipe and an easy way to get quinoa into your diet and your kids. You can certainly add quinoa to salads, replace rice with it in stir-fry or just eat it as a side. All very fine ways to enjoy this protein packed, amino acid packed delicious gluten-free grain. But this is my absolute favorite quinoa recipe. A dish that my kids will actually eat! Okay, my three year old will eat it all day long, my almost 6 year old is coming around. At least he is in love with basil as much as I am!
What’s so great about this Pesto Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables? Fluffy, hearty quinoa mixed with the most incredible herby basil pesto and perfectly roasted vegetables. Packed with protein, vitamins and minerals you need everyday. That’s what! Ha ha!
This recipe comes together fairly quickly and can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. How awesome is that?
Fist step is to get your veggies roasting since they take the longest amount of time to cook.
How to roast the vegetables
- Place them all in a bowl, drizzle in olive oil, salt and pepper and some spices and toss.
- Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake in a 425 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes and they come out perfect every time!
Then get started on the quinoa.
How to make the quinoa, the main star of this Pesto Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables
- Add one cup of quinoa to a small-medium size pot.
- Add in 2 cups of vegetable stock or water. I like to use vegetable stock since it helps add flavor to the quinoa while it cooks.
- Bring it to a boil on the stovetop, cover and let it simmer for 12-15 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed. Fluff the quinoa with a fork and season it with salt and pepper.
Then, the incredible PESTO!
How to make incredible PESTO!
So easy and packed with herby, lemony, garlic flavor. You can make it in literally one step.
- Add all ingredients (basil, garlic, parmesan, lemon juice, pistachios, olive oil, salt and pepper) except olive oil to a food processor, pulse while streaming in the olive oil and your done! Really! That’s it!
Building this bowl of Pesto Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables
Add the pesto and veggies to the quinoa, toss it all together and you have made the most delicious main or side quinoa dish! It’s so good!
For the Roasted Veggies
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 a red onion, chopped
- 2 medium size carrots, chopped
- 1 cup fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Quinoa
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
For the Pesto
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons pistachios
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Roast the veggies
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place all of the chopped veggies into a medium size mixing bowl, drizzle with olive oil, garlic, onion and chili powder and salt and pepper. Toss to coat all of the veggies.
- Place the veggies in a single layer onto the baking sheet and bake in the middle rack of the oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove and set aside.
Cook the quinoa
- Add the dry quinoa to a medium size pot.
- Pour in the veggie stock and stir.
- Bring the quinoa and stock to a boil on the stovetop, cover, reduce to simmer and let that cook for 12-15 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and season with salt and pepper.
Make the pesto
- Place all ingredients except the olive oil into a food processor and pulse while drizzling in the olive oil until everything is combined. That's it!
Put it all together
- Pour the quinoa into a large serving bowl, toss in the pesto and stir. Add in the roasted veggies, toss to combine everything and you are ready to serve and ENJOY!
This stores in the fridge for up to 4 days in an airtight container. You can also store the ingredients separately for up to 4 days.
Vegan option: Use vegan parmesan cheese in the pesto.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 5mg Sodium: 223mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 4g Protein: 6g
Try some of these other delicious vegan recipes from Vegan Bits. So easy and really good!