If you’re already head over heels for a luscious, creamy burger sauce or the legendary “special sauce” that graces the burgers at your favorite dining spots, get ready to love this phenomenal homemade burger sauce. It’s a flavor-packed masterpiece that will elevate your burger game. Only 50 calories per serving!
Have you ever wondered what is actually in a good burger sauce or “special sauce” and how to make it yourself? Well, I am here to tell you that you can make your own burger sauce at home with just a few simple ingredients that I bet you already have.
This amazing homemade burger sauce recipe is a great addition to your favorite burger recipes, spread on sandwiches, or even used as a salad topping! We also love it as a great dipping sauce for french fries, onion rings, chicken tenders, or chicken nuggets.
It tastes similar to”BIG MAC” sauce but is way healthier and homemade so you know exactly what ingredients are in it.
What is burger sauce made of?
Every restaurant will have its own signature recipe for burgers sauce. The basic ingredients usually consist of a combination of condiments you would normally put on a burger like mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickle juice, or relish. Some recipes may add other flavor-enhancing ingredients like sugar, hot sauce, or bbq sauce.
What makes this burger sauce healthier?
Most burger sauces have around 100-150 calories but this healthier version has all of the creaminess and flavor for only 50 calories per serving, allowing you to enjoy it just as much!
To keep this version on the lighter side, I used avocado mayo, low-sugar ketchup (Primal Kitchen brand), Dijon mustard, pickle juice, and spices to give it lots of flavor with fewer calories. It is so creamy and spreads so well that 1 tablespoon per serving goes a long way.
Ingredients you will need
- Mayo: Use any type of mayo, such as avocado mayo. You could even use vegan mayo!
- Dijon Mustard: Adds a zippy flavor to this special sauce recipe.
- Ketchup: Adds color and a hint of sweetness. I used the Primal Kitchen brand.
- Pickle Juice: Dill pickle juice or apple cider vinegar for a salty, briny element.
- Spices: Garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper. You can use paprika.
Variations and substitutions
- Mix in some dill pickle relish to add more texture and flavor resulting in a tangy burger sauce that is amazing!
- Drizzle in some hot sauce for a spicy secret sauce that goes great on seafood.
- Use yellow mustard in place of Dijon mustard.
- Chili sauce in place of ketchup or even bbq sauce adds another flavorful variation that is delicious.
- Use Greek yogurt or even sour cream in place of the mayo.
How to make homemade burger sauce – Step by Step
Step 1: Add all of the ingredients to a small bowl.
Step 2: Whisk well to combine into a smooth, creamy sauce.
Step 3: Serve on your favorite burger, salad, or wrap or enjoy as a dip for fries, veggies, or chips.
Ways to use this hamburger sauce
- The obvious way is to slather the burger sauce onto your favorite burger.
- Spread it over a classic house salad or drizzle it on this delicious burger bowl.
- Use it as a dipping sauce for chicken, fries, or crispy cauliflower.
- Add it to your chicken or pork for a fancy sauce that everyone will love!
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Other favorite burger sauces
This is literally the best burger sauce recipe that is so easy to make, I make it weekly and it is one of my favorite condiments that I put on everything! I am so excited to finally share it with you all!
Did you make this homemade classic burger sauce? If you did then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how it turned out!Print