Enjoy these easy Date Cookies anytime you are in need of a sweet treat. They are made with just 3 simple ingredients, require no baking, and are naturally sweetened with dates. Plus gluten-free and easily made vegan.
These date cookies are great for the holidays or just anytime you need a sweet fix. They are perfectly rich, and chewy with a nice balance of sweetness. Similar to this date shake that is equally easy to whip up in minutes.
This cookie recipe was inspired by these chocolate peanut butter eggs that are also no-bake. Here we used a combination of dates, peanut butter, and chocolate that blends nicely together for a yummy cookie that you are going to love!
You may also enjoy this no-bake dark chocolate almond bark.
The combination of dates and nuts is common in Mediterranean cooking since the two pair so well together. Dates have a caramel-like flavor so combining them with the chocolate just adds a whole other layer of taste and texture that really makes these cookies shine.
This recipe was created from this video shared by Katie Lee.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Naturally sweetened – these cookies contain no refined sugar and are naturally sweetened with dates (as long as you use sugar-free chocolate)
- Healthy – this cookie recipe is already gluten-free, dairy-free, and easily made vegan or paleo.
- Only 3 Ingredients – super simple with just 3 pantry ingredients that you probably already have. Which means you can make them all the time.
- Great for the holidays – these cookies make a wonderful gift or easy dessert you can bring to any holiday party that everyone will love.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make these delicious cookies with dates.
- Dates – pitted Medjool dates
- Dark chocolate – any dark chocolate will work. I used Lily’s chocolate chips.
- Creamy peanut butter – creamy peanut butter where the only ingredients are peanuts and salt. If there are other ingredients then the peanut butter will cause the chocolate to clump up when you melt it. Trust me from personal experience.
*For the complete list of ingredients and detailed recipe instructions, check out the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
How to make date cookies
Here I will show you the step-by-step instructions for making homemade, no-bake date cookies.
Step one: Make sure to remove the pits from the dates, then place them onto a lined baking sheet about 1.5 inches apart.
Step two: Spray the bottom of a glass with cooking spray and use the glass to press on each date to flatten it out lightly. If needed, use a metal spatula or butter knife to remove the date from the bottom of the glass.
Step three: Place the chocolate chips and peanut butter into a microwave-safe bowl.
Step four: Melt the chocolate and peanut butter by heating it in the microwave in 30-second intervals until it is melted. This took about 60 seconds for me.
Step five: Spoon some of the melted chocolate over each date, and sprinkle each with sea salt if desired.
Step six: Chill the cookies until the chocolate is solid, about 20 minutes, and enjoy!
Expert Tip: Lightly press the dates using your hands and spread them out on the pan before you flatten them with the glass.
Please see the recipe substitutions for these date cookies below.
- Peanut butter– you can use any nut butter you like, just make sure it only has a few ingredients (for example: almond butter and salt).
- Chocolate – any chocolate can be used, I used lily chocolate chips.
- Vegan – use vegan chocolate chips to make these cookies vegan.
Here are a few fun ways to change up this recipe for even more variety.
- Snickers – top the cookies with chopped peanuts and a drizzle of caramel syrup to make date Snickers cookies.
- Almond joy – add some shredded coconut and chopped almonds to the top of the cookies and use almond butter.
- Kid-friendly – my kids actually loved these cookies but you could add some mini chocolate chips, chopped pretzels, or mini M&M’s to make them even more kid-friendly.
See all of my cookie recipes on PMG!
These date cookies store great in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Tips For Making Date Cookies
Use pitted dates to make it easier and reduce the amount of steps in the recipe. These cookies require no baking but you will need a refrigerator to chill them for about 20 minutes, allowing the chocolate coating to harden before you serve them.
I do not recommend freezing them since they will likely get too hard and do not defrost well.
If you store them in the refrigerator they should last about 5 days.
More Healthy Desserts
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Did you try these date cookies? If you did, then please leave a rating and comment below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print