Okay, so one of my fave things right now is dipping sauces and even better are the things you can make to dip into them like these Baked Veggie Egg Rolls with Tofu.
Perfectly sautéed tofu mixed with purple and green cabbage, shredded carrots, green onion, ginger and garlic wrapped into a super crispy baked egg roll. YUM!
And there is a dipping sauce! A really good dipping sauce made up of sesame oil, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger topped with toasted sesame seeds. I mean this recipe is kind of my everything but don’t tell the hubby and the kiddos they might get jealous.
These cute little Veggie Egg Rolls with tofu are super crispy but baked and not fried so they are much better for you so you can eat way more and not feel guilty. LOVE IT!
I added in some crispy sautéed tofu for more protein as always since you all know that nutrition is key. For a good touch of fiber and vitamins, I used two kinds of cabbage plus shredded carrots and green onions.
All veggies that go well together and just really make these egg rolls so flavorful. You could even skip the egg roll wrappers and turn this recipe into an “egg roll in a bowl” for a fun spin on a buddha bowl.
How to make these super easy Veggie Egg Rolls with Tofu
- The first step is to sauté the tofu until it is super crispy. Just heat up a cast iron pan, large skillet or wok to medium-high heat on the stovetop with some sesame oil. Add in the tofu and cook it until it turns nice and brown and crispy. So good!
- Cook the veggies in the same pan using the same method until they are cooked down. I added some garlic, ginger and soy sauce to the veggie for extra flavor.
This recipe is so fun to make and a great one to get the kids involved in. I think any recipe that involves an assmebly-line type of preparation works well for getting the kids to help you in the kitchen. At least my kids enjoy assembling anything. Maybe it’s a boy thing but it works for us!
- Now its time to fill the egg roll wrappers with the veggie and tofu filling. Just place some of the filling in the corner of one of the egg roll wrappers. Use your finger to wet the edges.
- Fold over the bottom corner to cover the filling, fold in the sides and wrap it up like a package. A delicious package of veggie tofu goodness that is!
The roli-poli-oli part. Haha! You could also just use any stir-fry as the filling to mix it up. Check out this stir-fry recipe from Chowhound. It looks so good.
Super easy and fun right? Then you just place them seam side down onto a baking sheet, spray them with cooking spray and bake them to golden brown, crispy perfection.
They only take about 15 minutes to bake and they get so crispy with no frying. It’s pretty much magic.
Veggie Egg Rolls With Tofu
- Baking sheet
- 12 store-bought wonton wrappers
- 14 oz block of tofu drained, rinsed and diced
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsps low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- salt and pepper
For the dipping sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsps sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps honey
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
Make the egg roll filling
- Heat up a medium-size skillet on the stove to medium-high heat with the sesame oil. Add the tofu to the skillet and toss, add in a pinch of salt and pepper. Let the tofu cook for 5-7 minutes until brown. Add in the soy sauce and toss. Cook for 2 more minutes.Add in the veggies: cabbage, carrots, onions, garlic, and ginger and stir. cook for 3-5 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
Make the egg rolls
- Preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Place an egg roll wrapper on a flat surface. Fill a small dish or cup with warm water. Dip your pointer finger into the water and spread it onto the edges of the wonton wrapper. This will help it stay together when you roll it up. Drop a spoon full of the tofu veggie filling onto a corner of the wonton wrapper. Fold over the edge to cover the filling, fold in the sides and roll it up nice and tight (see photos in post for how I rolled mine).
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and place the egg rolls about an inch apart on the baking sheet. Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 12-15 minutes, until they are nice and golden brown and crispy. Remove and enjoy with the dipping sauce.
Making the dipping sauce
- Place all sauce ingredients except the sesame seeds into a small mixing bowl and whisk. Top with the toasted sesame seeds.