These Air Fryer Bagels are so easy to make in under 20 minutes. They are made with only 3 main ingredients and they come out so light and fluffy. Customize them with your own toppings or even make them gluten-free!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder – optional for extra fluffy bagels
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large egg -to use for the egg wash
- Optional toppings: Everything Bagel Seasoning, Sesame Seeds, Poppy Seeds
For gluten-free bagels
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder – gluten-free
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 egg white whisked until frothy
- Everything bagel seasoning – optional
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder and salt. Then add in the yogurt and mix the dough using a fork, your hands, or a rubber spatula until the dough is wet but still slightly crumbly with large doughy pieces.
- Then turn the dough out onto a well-floured surface and use your hands to knead it into a smooth ball of dough. Separate the dough into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a 5-6 inch long, 3/4 inch wide log and form into a circle and pinch the ends of the dough together with your fingers.
- In a small bowl combine the egg yolk with some water and brush the egg wash all over each bagel on the top and the middle. Then leave plain or add your toppings, if desired.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350 degrees F and spray the air fryer basket with olive oil spray. Place the formed bagels into the air fryer in a single layer about 2 inches apart. Close and cook for about 10 minutes until they are nice and golden and cooked through. Note: check the bagels at around 8-9 minutes to make sure they do not get too golden brown since air fryers vary.
- Remove the bagels from the air fryer and let them cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and topping them.
To make gluten-free bagels
- In a medium-size bowl, combine the gluten-free all-purpose flour with the baking powder and salt. Then add in the yogurt and egg white and mix the dough using a fork, your hands, or a rubber spatula until the dough is wet but still slightly crumbly with large doughy pieces.
- Then follow the rest of the recipe as explained above.
- Make them egg free. To make this recipe egg-free, you can leave out the egg whites and simply add 2 teaspoons of baking powder to the dough along with the salt and flour. Use melted butter or olive oil cooking spray in place of the egg wash.
- To store these bagels: Wrap them in plastic wrap and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. When ready to eat, you can reheat them in the air fryer or slice and toast them in the toaster.
- Freezing these bagels: To freeze these bagels, let them cool completely and wrap each bagel tightly in plastic wrap. Transfer the wrapped bagels to a freezer-friendly ziplock bag and keep them in the freezer for up to 30 days. When ready to eat, place them in the refrigerator overnight or remove one straight from the freezer and packaging, wrap it in a clean paper towel, defrost it in the microwave for 20 seconds and slice and toast it. It’s so good!
- You can make the dough ahead of time and store it in a container covered with plastic wrap, tightly and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When ready to use, you can pinch off some of the dough, roll it out, egg wash and top it and cook it in the air fryer and you have a homemade gluten-free bagel just like that!
- Make sure you let the bagels cook for 5-10 minutes after they are done cooking since they will cook even more while they cool.
- This recipe was adapted from Skinnytaste.com.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Air fryer bagels, bagels, healthy bagels, gluten free bagels