This easy Instant Pot Turkey Chili comes together in 20 minutes, is packed with hearty protein and veggies and is the most comforting winter meal. Full of smokey, spicy flavors all wrapped up in a bed of tomatoey, saucey, chili seasoned goodness that you just really need in your life. This is a recipe your kids will love and it is gluten free and simple to make any day of the week.
For the veggies
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Kosher salt and black pepper
For the chili seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the chili
- 1 and 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 (10oz) can red enchilada sauce
- 1 (15oz) can chili pinto beans
- 1 (15oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (15oz) can black beans – I used low-sodium
- 1 and 1/2 cups corn – I used canned corn
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
For topping and serving
- Sliced avocado
- Sour cream
- Greek Yogurt
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla chips
- Sauté the veggies. Set the Instant Pot to the “sauté‘” setting, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the bottom of the pot. Once it is hot add in the diced onion and bell peppers, season with salt and pepper, toss and let cook for a few minutes until the veggies are nice and soft and the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and tomato paste and stir it in to wake up all of that great flavor.
- Mix up the chili seasoning. Add all of the seasonings to a small bowl with some salt and pepper and mix well to combine. Add the spice mix to the pot with the veggies along with the minced garlic, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Brown the turkey. Add the ground turkey to the pot and cook it until it is no longer pink and slightly browned.
- Add in the enchilada sauce, beans, tomatoes, stock and corn.
- Stir that all together and season everything with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Secure the lid to the Instant Pot and make sure the release valve is set to the “sealing” position. Set the pot to the “chili/meat stew” setting for 18 minutes. It will take a few minutes to heat up and then about another 10 minutes for the steam to release after it is done cooking. You can also do a manual release if your Instant Pot doesn’t do it automatically.
- Carefully remove the lid, stir and serve with your favorite chili toppings.
- Make it in an Instant Pot or slow cooker. Using one of these methods allows the chili to cook much faster but still gives you all of that amazing flavor you would get from cooking it on the stove for hours. Also if you do not own an Instant Pot or slow cooker, you should, they are incredible tools to have in the kitchen for making quick, tasty meals.
- To make this chili in the slow cooker. Follow the instructions until cooking the chili. Secure the lid to your slow cooker and set it for 3-5 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
- Use good quality ingredients. So important in chili especially since you can really taste all of the flavors and textures. I used organic, grass fed lean ground turkey meat, organic, low-sodium beans, enchilada sauce, stock and diced tomatoes. I like to use low-sodium so I can control the salt in my food.
- Mix up the homemade chili seasoning before adding it to the pot. Mixing up the spices before adding them allows for a more even balance of flavor in the chili and in most recipes for that matter.
- Season the chili well with salt and pepper to your taste. Do not forget to use salt and pepper in this recipe since it has a lot of liquids and needs the seasoning to blend it all together nicely.
- Use all of the toppings! I love topping my chili with a squeeze of lime, sour cream, cilantro and shredded cheddar cheese and then add in a few tortilla chips. The best part of enjoying chili. So good!
- To store this chili. You can transfer the chili, once it is cooled to an airtight container and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and easily reheat it in the microwave or on the stove. You can also freeze this chili for up to 2 months in a freezer-friendly container. Defrost it in the fridge overnight and reheat it in the microwave or on the stove when ready to eat.
- Category: Healthy Dinner Ideas
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American