This delicious Cauliflower Sausage Kale Soup recipe is easily made in one pot and is loaded with italian sausage, kale, sweet potato, and cauliflower. It is so simple and comes together in under 30 minutes. An easy weeknight meal for the whole family!
- 1 small head of cauliflower, leaves and core removed and cut into florets.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder – optional
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder – optional
- 12 ounces cooked Italian sausage – I used robust Italian chicken sausage
- 1/2 white onion – diced
- 2 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 medium sweet potatoes – peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups chicken stock – I used low sodium
- 1/2 bunch of kale – flat leaf or curly kale
Roast the Cauliflower
- Preheat the oven to 420 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place the cauliflower florets in an even layer onto the baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season them with salt and pepper. Add chili powder and garlic powder, if using and then toss to coat the cauliflower.
- Place the seasoned cauliflower into the preheated oven and bake it for 20-25 minutes until it is soft and slightly crispy around the edges.
Make the base of the soup
- Heat a dutch oven or soup pot to the medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Slice the sausage into pieces (about 1/2 inch thick) and place the sausage into the pot. Toss and cook it until it is lightly golden brown then add in the garlic, onions, and Italian seasoning. Toss and cook all of that together for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add in the sweet potato, chicken stock and season it all with a little salt and pepper. Let that all come to a boil, then cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are nice and tender.
Finish it off and serve
- Add in the chopped kale and cook until wilted, about 2-3 minutes. Then top with the roasted cauliflower and serve hot.
- You can use any type of chicken or turkey sausage in this soup. I used pre-cooked robust Italian chicken sausage. If you use raw sausage, just make sure to cook it a little bit longer until it is nice and golden brown on all sides.
- Any kind of kale is great in this recipe. I used curly red kale but tuscan kale or just regular curly kale all work. Just make sure you clean, de-stem, and chop the kale before adding it to the soup.
- Make sure to clean and peel the potatoes and then chop them up into either 1 inch cubes or smaller. The smaller you cut them, the quicker they will cook. I cut mine into 1 inch cubes. You can also purchase sweet potatoes that are already peeled and chopped at most grocery stores to save even more time.
- This soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also easily freeze this soup for up to 2 months. See post for freezing recommendations.
- To make this recipe vegetarian or vegan, use plant based sausage. It will alter the flavor a little but it will still be super good.
- Category: Healthy Dinner Ideas
- Method: Simmered
- Cuisine: American