You are going to become obsessed with these Air Fryer Zucchini Chips. They are crispy, crunchy, and salty with a nice hint of Italian flavors. When you make this air fryer zucchini, you are going to want to eat them all so you may want to make a double batch!
My kids even ate these and they have never even tried zucchini! I love that this is a healthier way to enjoy crispy chips without any chemicals or deep frying needed.
I used a similar method that I used for these air fryer green bean fries to make it easier to coat the zucchini slices so you do not need to coat each one separately.
The coating is low-carb and so flavorful, made with nutty parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic, and paprika. The simple ingredients make this air fryer recipe an amazing easy side dish that everyone will love!
Why you’ll love these zucchini chips
- Low carb
- Healthy snack
- Simple ingredients
- 80 calories per serving, less than 1 gram of carbs!
- Easy air fryer recipe
*Get the complete list of recipe ingredients and instructions plus nutritional information in the recipe card located at the bottom of this post.
Air Fryer Zucchini Chips Ingredients and Variations
- Zucchini: one medium fresh zucchini
- Avocado oil: ideal for this recipe, but you can substitute it with extra virgin olive oil.
- Parmesan cheese: grated for a deliciously cheesy and salty taste on the chips.
- Seasonings: garlic powder, paprika, Italian seasoning for a delightful flavor upgrade to the zucchini chips.
- Sea salt – to help season the zucchini and draw out excess moisture.
- Spicy Ranch Zucchini Chips: Zucchini slices seasoned with a mixture of ranch seasoning and cayenne pepper for a zesty kick. Cooking spray or olive oil for coating the chips before air frying.
- Lemon Herb Zucchini Chips: Zucchini slices tossed in a blend of fresh lemon zest, dried thyme, rosemary, and a pinch of salt. Brush with olive oil or avocado oil to enhance browning and crispiness.
- BBQ Zucchini Chips: Zucchini slices coated with a smoky BBQ seasoning mix, including paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and a hint of brown sugar or coconut sugar. Use cooking spray or avocado oil to help the seasoning adhere and get a crispy texture.
How to make zucchini chips in the air fryer
- Prepare zucchini: Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Slice zucchini thin (1.55mm) & sprinkle with salt. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix seasoning: Combine parmesan and spices in a medium bowl. Add some cracked black pepper for even more flavor.
- Season & preheat: Preheat the air fryer (345°F). Pat the zucchini dry, add it to a large bowl, and coat with oil & seasoning mixture.
- Cook: Spray the air fryer basket to prevent sticking, and add the zucchini in batches in an even layer. Cook for 12-14 mins, flipping optional.
- Cool & crisp: Remove the chips & cool on paper towels. Repeat for remaining chips.
- Devour: Serve and enjoy crispy air fryer zucchini chips!
Expert tip: Utilizing a mandolin slicer significantly streamlines and simplifies the process of slicing the zucchini.
Tips for Success
- Slice uniformly – it is important to slice the zucchini in even slices so they all cook at the same time.
- Remove excess moisture – do not skip the step for removing the excess moisture. This is the key step that results in crispy zucchini chips. Remember: moisture is the enemy of crispiness.
- Season thoroughly – zucchini is very bland tasting, so ensuring that you season it well is important for the best results. And let me tell you my kid’s reaction to these flavors was everything!
- Avoid overcrowding – make sure to place the zucchini in a single layer with no overlapping in the air fryer so they get nice and crispy and golden brown all around.
Why did my zucchini chips come out soggy?
- Moisture: Your zucchini chips may have turned out soggy because the zucchini slices contained too much moisture. Zucchini has a high water content, and if not properly dried before cooking, it can lead to a lack of crispiness.
- Thin Slices: If the zucchini slices were cut too thick, they might not have cooked evenly, leaving some parts undercooked and contributing to the overall sogginess.
- Overcrowding: If you overcrowded the air fryer basket, the zucchini chips might not have had enough space to cook properly, resulting in trapped steam and sogginess.
- Lack of Oil: Insufficient oil coating on the zucchini slices could lead to inadequate browning and crispiness. Properly coating the slices with oil is crucial for achieving crispy chips.
Can I make these in the oven?
Don’t have an air fryer? No worries, you can also make these zucchini chips in the oven! Here is how to do it:
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Slice zucchini into thin rounds. Dry out sprinkled with salt on paper towels for 10 minutes.
- Toss zucchini slices with oil.
- Mix grated Parmesan, and spices in a bowl.
- Coat zucchini slices with Parmesan mixture.
- Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until crispy. Cool the chips on a paper towel-lined plate.
Ways to serve parmesan zucchini chips
The best way to enjoy these air fryer zucchini chips is with a dipping sauce like ranch dressing, marinara sauce, or a creamy dill sauce (we love Trader Joe’s). They also go great as a healthy side dish with burgers, wraps, or sandwiches. My family loved them as a side for pizza night!
Recommended tools for making this recipe
Here are the tools I recommend having on hand to make this amazing air fryer zucchini chips recipe:
Storage and reheating instructions
Store cooled zucchini chips in an airtight container with paper towels between layers. Keep in a cool, dry place and consume within 1-2 days for best results.
Reheat zucchini chips in the preheated air fryer at 350°F for 2-3 minutes until hot and crispy. Serve immediately. Avoid reheating multiple times for best results.
More zucchini recipes to try!
- Air Fryer Zucchini Patties
- Zucchini Banana Bread
- Healthy Zucchini Meatballs
- Zucchini Pizza Boats
- Healthy Zucchini Muffins
Did you try these air fryer zucchini chips? If you did, I hope you enjoyed them. Please leave a rating and comment below to let me know how they turned out!Print