This Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Oatmeal is the best healthy and sweet way to start your day. Luscious oats simmered with creamy coconut milk, chia seeds, vanilla and maple syrup then topped with fresh glazed strawberries and dairy free yogurt. It tastes just like strawberry shortcake but for breakfast. Ready in 15 minutes!
I love any sweet treat that includes fruit and this Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Oatmeal is definitely one of my favourite ways to start my day. Perfect for a fun weekend family breakfast or just a bright spot in your week on a Tuesday morning.
You can make this healthy oatmeal recipe in less than 15 minutes. Creamy oats mixed with fiber rich healthy chia seeds, sweet maple syrup, fresh strawberries and topped with yogurt and crunchy pecans. It really is a dessert for breakfast kind of recipe and it pairs perfectly with a fresh brewed warm cup of coffee.
Why you will love this recipe
- Dessert for breakfast! Hello!
- It’s creamy, packed with sweet and tart flavors and is so satisfying
- Tastes just like strawberry shortcake
- It is vegan and gluten free!
- You can make it in under 15 minutes.
- Simple and easy recipe your whole family will enjoy!
Is oatmeal good for you?
Let me tell you something amazing about oatmeal, especially eating it for breakfast. It is packed with fiber, healthy antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Oats are also one of the healthiest grains you can eat and they are naturally gluten free!
Eating oats is great for weight loss as well since they keep you fuller longer and are great paired with healthy fruits, like strawberries. It is literally one of the best ways to start your day off right.
Ingredients needed to make this recipe
How to make vegan strawberry shortcake oatmeal
- Cook the oatmeal. Add the oats, jam, chia seeds, strawberries, vanilla, pinch of salt and maple syrup to a pot. Pour in the milk, stir and cook on medium low heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring it while it cooks.
- Make the glazed strawberries. While the oatmeal is cooking you can prep the sweet strawberry topping. Heat the remaining strawberry jam in a microwave safe dish for 60 seconds in the microwave. Remove and stir in 1 tablespoon maple syrup. Add the sliced strawberries and toss them in the jam and syrup mixture.
- Top and serve. Separate the cooked oatmeal into bowls, top with some of the sweet glazed strawberries, some chopped pecans, some freeze-dried strawberries and a little coconut dairy-free yogurt. Add an extra drizzle of maple syrup for even more decadent flavour. I also like to add some honey to the top but certainly leave it out to keep this recipe fully vegan.
What type of oats are best for quick and easy oatmeal?
Quick cooking oats are the best oats to use in this recipe because, well they cook faster than rolled oats or old fashioned oats. They cook faster because they are thinner and precooked before being packaged.
Make sure the package says “gluten free” if you need them to be gluten free since some oats are prepared in a facility that makes other products that contain gluten.
I am a huge fan oaf Bob’s Red Mill Quick Cooking Oats.
Does this oatmeal taste like strawberry shortcake?
Yes! This vegan strawberry shortcake oatmeal tastes just like strawberry shortcake. You won’t even miss the shortcake in this recipe since the oats give you that creaminess mixed with the texture of the oats.
Add in some sweet glazed fresh strawberries and creamy yogurt as a topping and it literally is strawberry shortcake in a bowl for breakfast.
- Serve this oatmeal with a healthy smoothie on the side like this Simple Green Smoothie.
- Have it with some fresh brewed coffee and an extra side of fruit.
- Enjoy it with some protein packed Sausage and Pepper Egg Muffins or a Ham and Broccoli and Quiche.
- Top it with some Easy Homemade Granola
More healthy and easy breakfast ideas
- Banana Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
- Healthy Banana Oatmeal Pancakes
- Simple Almond Flour Pancakes
- Gluten Free Zucchini Muffins
- Gluten Free Zucchini Banana Bread
Recipe tips and variations
- Use quick cooking oats. Quick cooking oats simply just cook faster, hence the name since they are precooked before being packaged up. This makes them thinner than old fashioned oats, so that is why they cook faster.
- Fresh strawberries must be used in this recipe. For this recipe to truly taste like strawberry shortcake, you MUST use fresh strawberries. Which are in season so that should be easy. I tried this recipe with frozen strawberries and it was definitely not as flavourful and delicious. Trust me on this one!
- You can use dairy-free milk and yogurt or regular milk and plain greek yogurt if you do not need to keep this recipe dairy-free.
- Switch up the fruit. Fresh blueberries or blackberries add a fun and delicious twist to this simple oatmeal recipe.
- Storage tips. To store this oatmeal, let it cool completely and store the cooked oatmeal and the glazed strawberries separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator. When ready to eat, just heat up the oatmeal in the microwave or on the stovetop, then top and serve.
Did you try this recipe? If you did then please leave a comment and rating below. I would love to hear how yours turned out!Print