This is a super simple oven roasted chickpea recipe that you will want to make over and over again. Made up of just canned chickpeas, homemade seasoning of chili powder, garlic and some other spices mixed in with a little oil and salt. Roasted to crispy perfection and so simple to make. Vegan, gluten-free, and a perfect recipe for snacking or topping on salads and ready in under 30 minutes.
- 2 (15oz) cans low-sodium chickpeas – drained and rinsed well
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Prep the chickpeas: Lay the chickpeas onto a dry kitchen towel and pat them dry with a paper towel then transfer them to a medium size mixing bowl. A necessary step for extra crispy chickpeas.
- Season the chickpeas: Combine the chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mix well. Drizzle the olive oil over the chickpeas and toss them in the oil. Sprinkle in the seasoning mix and toss to coat all of the chickpeas.
- Roast: Pour the chickpeas in a single layer onto the baking sheet and bake them for 25-30 minutes, tossing them and shaking the pan every 10 minutes to get all sides nice and golden brown.
- Serve: Serve hot with a sprinkle sea salt. See post for other serving suggestions.
- Buy good quality, low-sodium chickpeas. I like to buy organic, low-sodium since some canned beans can be loaded with extra salt, which is never good for anybody.
- Drain and rinse the beans well for at least 30 seconds under some running water. I like to drop mine into a small strainer and swish them around a little bit under the water. This will also help remove extra sodium from the beans.
- Dress the chickpeas in a little oil before you add the seasoning so that the spices stick to them when roasting.
- Mix the spices together before adding them to the chickpeas. Which helps even out the flavor.
- Cook the chickpeas at high heat. I think 400 degrees F is the ideal temperate since they get nice and crispy without drying out at all. I have tried roasting them at higher temperatures (425 F or 450 F) and it did not turn out too well.
- Store these chickpeas at room temperature in a container fitted with a loose lid or foil for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Healthy Snacks and Appetizers
- Method: Roasted
- Cuisine: Mediterranean