Creamy Vegan Asparagus Soup that is so crazy good, packed with nutrition and literally one of the best soups ever! It comes together in less than 30 minutes, stores great and is a perfect meal prep recipe. Plus it is both vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion – diced
- 3 cloves of garlic – minced
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 bunch of asparagus – chopped
- 1 cup white potatoes – diced
- 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast seasoning
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- juice of 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon or more if you really like hints of lemon)
- Extra lemon slices, and croutons or toasted bread for topping and serving
- Heat up a medium-size pot or dutch oven on the stovetop with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the diced onion to the pot with the olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and sauté until the onions are nice and golden brown and translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the pot and stir. Cook for 1 minute and then add the 1 tablespoon vegan butter. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the asparagus with the onions and garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Then add in the diced potatoes, adobo, onion powder, chili powder and dried basil. Toss that all together and cook for 1 more minute to wake up the spices and bring out their flavor.
- Pour in the veggie stock and season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Cover and bring everything to a boil and then simmer on low for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add in the 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast seasoning and the coconut milk and stir.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it is silky and creamy. It took me about 2-3 minutes. You could also blend this up in a Vitamix or high-speed blender then return the soup to the pot you cooked it in.
- Add in a fresh squeeze of lemon juice. Serve in a bowl and top with fresh lemon slices and croutons.
- Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- To freeze: Pour soup into ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, remove the cubes from the ice cube trays and store in a freezer – friendly ziplock bag. Label it and store it for up to 6 months. To reheat, just defrost in the refrigerator then reheat in a pan on the stovetop.
- Buy fresh asparagus that is bright green and firm. Frozen asparagus will not work in this recipe since it contains more water and will make the soup less flavorful. You also want to make sure to choose asparagus that is firm.
- You can use new red potatoes instead of regular white potatoes. Just make sure to peel them first. You will still need about 1 cup, diced.
- Add in more greens. You can stir in some spinach right at the end before you blend the soup.
- Mix up the toppings. Add some crispy roasted chickpeas or cheesy homemade croutons.
- Category: Main Course, Main Dishes
- Method: Simmered and blended
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: asparagus soup, asparagus recipes, creamy vegan soup, healthy soup recipes