The BEST Healthy Black Bean Burgers ever! Hearty black beans mixed with sautéed veggies, garlic, and warm spices. Cooked until crispy on the outside and tender and delicious on the inside. Perfect for meal prep or meatless meals any day of the week.
- 1 (15oz) can black beans (drained and rinsed well)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup red onion (diced)
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms (wiped clean and chopped)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 large egg (lightly whisked)
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- avocado oil or grape-seed oil for cooking
- Cook the veggies: Heat up a skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once hot, add the onions, peppers, and mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes until the veggies are starting to brown. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add in the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Prep the black beans: While the veggies are cooling, mash up the black beans using the back of a fork, leaving some whole for added texture.
- Make the burger mixture: Add the mashed black beans, cooked veggies, breadcrumbs, egg, spices, salt, and pepper to a medium-size mixing bowl and stir to combine. Using your hands form 4 even size burgers. I have found that a 1/3 cup measuring cup made 4 perfect size burgers. Place the burgers onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and place the burgers into the freezer for 15-20 minutes to allow them to firm up.
- Cook the burgers: Heat up a skillet to medium heat with 1 tablespoon avocado or grape-seed oil. Once the oil is hot, add the burgers and cook for 5-6 minutes per side.
- Serve: Add the burgers to whole grain buns topped with spicy mayo, arugula, tomatoes, and sliced red onion.
You can freeze these burgers easily – When you place the burgers in the freezer before cooking, simply leave them in there for about 60 minutes on the sheet pan. Remove, wrap each burger in plastic wrap, place in an airtight container, and freeze for up to a month. When ready to cook, simply let them defrost on the counter for 15 minutes, then follow the recipe cooking instructions.
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American