Crunchy, tangy, slightly sweet, and full of vibrant, fresh ingredients. This Kale and Brussels Sprout Salad will be your new favorite salad! Super simple to make, no cooking required and it’s gluten-free and easily adaptable for almost any dietary needs.
For the salad
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts – sliced thin
- 2 cups lacinato kale – thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon – about 2 teaspoons of lemon zest and 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Add the thinly sliced Brussel sprouts, kale, onion, pistachios, and dried cranberries to a large mixing bowl or salad bowl.
- Make the dressing: Add the dijon mustard, lemon juice and zest, maple syrup, salt, and pepper to a medium-sized mixing bowl and whisk to combine while adding in a slow stream of olive oil to add some creaminess to the dressing. Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the dressing onto the salad and toss to combine. Then top with the grated parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Shred the brussel sprouts yourself rather than buying pre-shredded, if you can. It is less expensive and you end up with crisper, more flavorful brussel sprouts. To shred them, slice off the ends, remove the first layer of leaves from each, slice in half and place them into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times. You can also slice each brussel sprout thinly with a sharp kitchen knife if you don’t have a food processor.
- Prep the kale in advance. You can rinse and slice the kale into long ribbons a couple of days in advance. To store the prepared kale, wrap it in some paper towels and place it into a ziplock bag, seal tightly and store it in the fridge. I do this weekly for my meal prep and I always have it on hand and ready to go anytime!
- For meat-eaters, you can add in some cooked, chopped bacon or even shredded chicken for added protein.
- Add in some chickpeas or crispy baked tofu to make this a complete meat-free meal! You can even serve this alongside these Baked Eggplant Meatballs.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Quick and easy salads
- Method: Assembled
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Kale and Brussels sprouts salad, kale, Brussels sprouts, salad