This Veggie chicken pizza bake is loaded with all of those wonderful pizza toppings and flavors we love but it is low-carb and packed with tons of protein. Tender chicken breast filled with spicy pepperoni, crisp veggies, tomato sauce and melty mozzarella cheese, seasoned with an incredible pizza seasoning and baked until bubbly and saucy. 30 minutes to make and a meal your whole family will enjoy!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts – about 4–5 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 slices of whole mozzarella cheese – you can also use shredded mozzarella cheese
- 40 slices of pepperoni – 6-8 slices for each piece of chicken plus more for topping
- 1 (24 oz) jar of your favourite marinara sauce – I used Primal Kitchen
- 1 medium green bell pepper – diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butterfly each chicken breast using a sharp kitchen knife. Make sure not to slice the chicken all the way through. You want it to be open like a book. To butterfly the chicken, lay it on a flat surface, look for the widest edge and slice it in half using a sharp knife but do not slice it all the way through.
- Mix up the olive oil with the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Place the sliced chicken breast in a bowl and pour the seasoning over it. Use your hands to cover the chicken in the seasoning.
- Then open up each chicken breast like a book and on one half of the chicken layer the sliced mozzarella cheese, then 6-8 slices of pepperoni, the chopped onion, bell pepper, olives, a spoonful of sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Then carefully close up each once by folding over the other half and pinching the ends together lightly. Continue until you have filled all of the chicken breasts.
- Pour half of the tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish, spread it out in an even layer then lay the chicken on top of the sauce in an even layer.
- Cover the chicken with the rest of the sauce, pepperoni, diced veggies and cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Remove and let cool for a few minutes then enjoy!
- Use good quality organic chicken breast since it is more plump and just so much better in a recipe like this with chicken as the main ingredient.
- Select your favorite tomato sauce for this recipe. I love Primal Kitchen Tomato Sauce.
- Cut the veggies small so they fit nicely inside the chicken when you stuff it.
- You can use pizza seasoning or the blend I used in the recipe to season the chicken.
- You can use toothpicks to secure the chicken if needed, but make sure you take them out after the chicken is done baking. I didn’t need to use toothpicks since I was able easy pinch the edges together to secure it.
- When slicing the chicken in half, look for the widest edge and start there, just don’t cut it all the way through.
- Don’t overstuff the chicken. I placed a few slices of mozzarella cheese, then 6-8 slices of pepperoni, some chopped onion, chopped bell pepper, sliced olives, then a spoonful or two of tomato sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese in each and it was the perfect amount.
- Category: Healthy Dinner Ideas
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian