A super simple and Easy Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes recipe that you must try! Cooking these potatoes in the Instant Pot gives them the most creamy texture matched with a sweet and savory flavor that is everything. Perfect for a healthy side dish any day of the week!
- 2lbs of sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chives or fresh herbs for topping (optional)
- Place peeled and cut sweet potatoes into the bottom of the Instant pot.
- Pour in the water, secure the lid, and make sure the pressure release valve is set to “sealing”
- Set the Instant Pot to “Manual Mode” for 10 minutes. The Instant Pot will take a few minutes to heat up and will then start to countdown 10 minutes. Then it will either automatically release the pressure or you can can do it manually by carefully turning the release valve to the “venting” position. Once all of the pressure is released, this takes 30-60 seconds, you can carefully remove the lid.
- Drain and rinse the potatoes and return the potatoes to the instant pot or a large bowl. I like to mash them in the Instant Pot since it is already warmed up and keeps the potatoes nice and hot.
- Use a potato masher to mash up the potatoes. Then add the milk, butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt and pepper to the potatoes and mix it all together to combine. Adjust for taste and top with freshly chopped chives. Enjoy!
- Use good ripe sweet potatoes. Select potatoes that are bright orange in color, are firm to the touch, have little to no indentations or brown spots and are medium in size.
- You can keep this recipe vegan/dairy-free or use heavy cream in place of the almond milk. Make sure to use unsweetened plain almond milk. You can use coconut milk as well but I found that the almond milk works best.
- I used vegan butter in my version of the recipe but you could also use Kerrygold grass-fed butter if you do not need to keep this recipe dairy-free.
- These sweet potatoes can be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days and are great as a healthy side dish for dinner or even breakfast.
- Category: Healthy Side Dishes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American