Creamy, silky, spicy instant pot sweet potato soup. Soft, tender sweet potatoes, warm cinnamon, paprika, and spicy chipotle pepper sauce, cooked perfectly in the instant pot. Finished off with creamy coconut milk and topped with red pepper flakes and fresh herbs. Vegan, gluten-free.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 lbs. peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 4 cups vegetable stock (plus 2 cups water)
- 1 tablespoon chipotle pepper sauce (the sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce)
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- Set the instant pot to “Saute”, once ‘hot” add in 1 tablespoon olive oil, the chopped onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Stir and let that sauté until the onion is translucent and slightly brown.
- Add in the chopped sweet potatoes, 4 cups of vegetable stock plus 2 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of chipotle pepper sauce, 1 teaspoon sweet paprika, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and stir that all together.
- Secure the lid and set the instant pot to the ‘soup” setting for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, the instant pot will naturally release the pressure, which takes about 10 extra minutes.
- Once the pressure is fully released and the instant pot beeps, carefully remove the lid and let the soup cool down for about 5 minutes.
- To puree the soup, you can use an immersion blender right in the instant pot or puree the soup in batches in a blender, then add it back to the instant pot.
- Pour the can of coconut milk into a small bowl and lightly whisk it to wake up all of that flavor, then pour it into the soup and stir.
- Serve warm and top with red pepper flakes and fresh herbs.
- This soup can be stored easily in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, one serving – simply heat it on high in the microwave for about 1 minute, making sure the cover it with a paper towel so it doesn’t splatter. To reheat, more than one serving – add the soup to a pot on the stove and set it to low heat and it should warm up in less than 5 minutes.
- You can also freeze this soup! Once it cools completely, pour it into a couple of freezer-friendly ziplock bags, label them and then place them in the freezer, lay them flat and store for up to 2 months. To reheat, defrost the soup overnight in the fridge and heat on the stove. I love a great soup that you can easily store and freeze.
- Pick good ripe sweet potatoes that are medium in size and not too large, rich in color, and with few blemishes. This will ensure the soup has that incredible sweet potato flavor when combined with only a few other ingredients.
- Use the instant pot to make this soup. Cooking this soup in the pressure cooker really gives it that extra flavor that is really incredible.
- Use good quality ingredients since this recipe has very few ingredients, it is important that they are better quality for optimal taste and texture.
- Use a good full fat coconut milk to get the nice creamy finish that makes this soup so amazing!
- Category: Healthy Side Dishes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American