Crispy veggie egg rolls that are baked and not fried and are a healthier version of your favorite take-out recipe. Simple, fun to make, and so delicious! Add in a sesame dipping sauce and it is literally the perfect appetizer or fun family meal any day of the week!
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 14 oz block of tofu (drained, rinsed and diced)
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup sliced baby bella mushrooms (optional)
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 2 tbsps low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (or 1 tbsp garlic paste)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger (or 1 tbsp ginger paste)
For the dipping sauce
- 1/4 cup soy ( sauce)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsps honey
- 1 tbsp minced garlic (or garlic paste)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger (or ginger paste)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
Make the egg roll filling
- Heat up a medium-size skillet on the stove to medium-high heat with the sesame oil. Add the tofu to the skillet and toss, add in a pinch of salt and pepper. Let the tofu cook for 5-7 minutes until brown. Add in the soy sauce and toss. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add in the veggies: cabbage, carrots, onions, mushrooms, scallions, garlic, and ginger and stir. Cook for 4-5 more minutes. Set aside to cool.
Make the egg rolls
- Preheat the oven to 425F degrees. Place an egg roll wrapper on a flat surface with one of the tips facing you like a diamond shape. Fill a small dish or cup with warm water. Dip your pointer finger into the water and spread it onto the edges of the wonton wrapper. This will help it stay together when you roll it up.
- Drop a spoonful (about 1 heaping tbsp) of the tofu veggie filling into the middle of the wonton wrapper. Fold over the edge to cover the filling, fold in the sides and roll it up nice and tight (see photos in post for how I rolled mine).
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, lay a piece of parchment paper onto the tray and spray again. Place the egg rolls about an inch apart on the baking sheet. Brush each egg roll with a little olive oil or spray with baking spray. Bake in the middle rack of the oven for 15-17 minutes, until they are nice and golden brown and crispy. Remove and let cool.
Making the dipping sauce
- Place all sauce ingredients except the sesame seeds into a small mixing bowl and whisk. Top with the toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve the egg rolls warm alongside the dipping sauce.
- Use extra-firm tofu – make sure you select extra firm tofu and not firm or silken tofu. This is important for super crispy, delicious tofu in the egg roll filling.
- Buy pre-shredded cabbage and carrot mixture at the store if you can, This will save you some time and money since you do not need a lot. You can, of course, shred your own if you prefer it but the store-bought is a big time-saver.
- You can use garlic paste and ginger paste or 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and 1 tablespoon minced ginger.
- Mushrooms are optional – you can leave them out if you want since they are just an added bonus ingredient.
- You can use hoisin sauce in place of the soy sauce in the filling and in the dipping sauce if you prefer it.
- These can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave of for crispier results heat in the oven.
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Asian