This homemade Healthy Creamy Tomato Soup is so tasty and simple. Only a few ingredients and less than 30 minutes to make. The perfect hint of herbs matched with the creamy, smooth texture of blended tomatoes and a little cream creates this simply amazing soup. Vegan + Gluten-Free!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can full-fat plain coconut milk
- Fresh basil (for topping)
- Vegan parmesan cheese (for topping)
- Heat a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the pan. Once hot, toss in the diced onions, season with salt and pepper and stir and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Then add in the garlic, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the Italian seasoning. I like to rub the seasoning between my hands over the pot to pull out all of it’s flavor. Stir it in and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes 1 can at a time, mashing the tomatoes up with a potato masher. You want to mash them up to break down the tomatoes until they appear slightly chunky but with no more large tomatoes. If using diced tomatoes then you can skip this step.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper and bring the soup to a low-boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove the soup from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. I like to run the blender through the soup in a figure 8 motion to get it all nice and blended. This takes a couple of minutes. You can also do this in batches in a blender then just add the soup back to the pot you cooked it in.
- Stir in the coconut milk for that nice creamy finish to the soup. I also like to add another dusting of Italian seasoning on top.
- Serve hot and garnish with fresh basil and dairy-free parmesan cheese.
- I used whole canned tomatoes but you can also use diced tomatoes in this recipe. I suggest using a good organic brand since the tomatoes are the highlight of this recipe.
- For the Italian seasoning, you can use a blend of dried basil, oregano, and parsley, or store-bought Italian seasoning or even herbs de Provence (my personal favorite). When adding the herbs to the soup, rub the seasoning between your hands over the soup to bring out even more flavor.
- To keep this soup dairy-free, I used plain, full-fat canned coconut milk. If you don’t need to keep this dairy-free then you could also use heavy cream. Make sure the milk is unsweetened and full fat.
- You can store this soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze it in individual freezer-friendly containers for up to 2 months. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight and reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- What to serve with this creamy tomato soup? I love this vegan sandwich or this easy kale salad with lemon dressing.
- Category: healthy dinner ideas
- Method: simmered
- Cuisine: American