The easiest and BEST way to cook perfect sweet potatoes every time! Tender, fluffy, soft, creamy, and packed with that sweet buttery flavor we all want in a sweet potato. You will never cook sweet potatoes any other way! These Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes take half as much time as baking them in the oven, which is such a time saver. Here is everything you need to know about how to pressure cook sweet potatoes.
For Pressure Cooking
- 4 medium-small sweet potatoes
- 1 cup water
- Salt & Pepper
- Scrub the sweet potatoes clean and poke holes all over each potato for easy venting.
- Place the trivet that came with your Instant Pot into the bottom of the pot. Lay the sweet potatoes in a single layer on top of the trivet.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Secure and lock the lid and make sure the valve is set to the “sealing” position.
- Set the Instant Pot in manual mode to “pressure cook” for 15-25 minutes or longer depending on the size of your sweet potatoes. See the notes section below for varied cooking times. It will take about 7-8 minutes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure before it starts cooking.
- Let the pressure naturally release. This takes about 8-10 minutes. If you are in a hurry then you can do a “quick release” about 10 minutes after the instant pot is done cooking.
- Once the pressure is fully released, remove the potatoes (I used tongs since the potatoes were hot).
- Let them cool for 2-5 minute or so then just slice them down the middle, add a pat of butter and sprinkle with some chives. So Good!!!
- Select sweet potatoes that are all similar in size so they cook evenly. This took me a few extra minutes in the produce section of my grocery store but was well worth it.
- Know the size of your Instant Pot. I have a 6 Quart (standard size) Instant Pot that fits about 4 medium-size potatoes.
- Poke holes all over each potato for easier venting while they cook.
- Use the trivet that comes with your Instant Pot to place the potatoes on. This will prevent the bottoms of the potatoes from burning while they cook.
- Use 1 cup of water to help the potatoes cook. I prefer room temperature water but cold water also works.
- Let the potatoes rest for a few minutes after cooking before slicing them open. They will continue to cook for a few minutes after cooking, so letting them rest for 5 extra minutes makes them super soft and crazy fluffy and creamy.
Cooking times for sweet potatoes:
- Small sweet potatoes (6-8 ounces) – 12-15 minutes at high pressure
- Medium size sweet potatoes (8-12 ounces) – 18-22 minutes at high pressure
- Larger sweet potatoes (12-16 ounces) – 25-27 minutes at high pressure
Favorite toppings for sweet potatoes
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: sweet potato recipes, instant pot potato recipes, easy sweet potatoes