A super easy and decadent vegan chocolate mousse made with dark chocolate and coconut milk. A no-bake, 2 ingredient dessert that you have to make! Great make-ahead dessert recipe and perfect for entertaining. Vegan and Gluten-Free
- 10 oz bag dark chocolate chips
- 1 (5.64 oz) can full-fat coconut milk (chilled for at least 24 hours)
- Pour the chilled coconut milk (the contents of the entire can) into the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk, starting on medium-low speed for 1-2 minutes then increasing to high-speed until semi-stiff peaks begin to form or the coconut milk has a pudding-like texture (this took about 5 minutes in my mixer). You could also use a hand mixer for this but it may take a little longer for the stiff peaks to start to form.
- Turn off the mixer and melt the chocolate. You can do this either on the stovetop or in the microwave. Stovetop – Heat up a small saucepan to low heat, pour in the chocolate chips and melt, stirring with a rubber spatula to get it nice and silky smooth. You can also do this using the double boiler method . Microwave – place the chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until fully melted. This usually takes about 90 seconds.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the mixer with the whipped coconut milk. Whisk on medium-low speed for another 30-60 seconds then increase to high speed for about 60 more seconds. You want a nice fluffy texture. Make sure not to over-mix.
- Turn the mixer off and separate the mousse into 4 jars or small bowls. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Serve cold and top with your favorite toppings like shaved chocolate, fresh fruit, or nuts and enjoy!
- Full fat coconut milk is essential since the low-fat coconut milk will result in more of a pudding-like texture.
- Chilling the coconut milk for at least 24 hours is essential. This recipe will not work without chilled coconut milk.
- If you have never worked with coconut milk before then it’s important to note that when you open the milk after it has been chilled then it will be very thick on top with the coconut water liquid underneath. To get the thickened milk out of the can, just run a spoon around the edge and it should lift right out. Pour all of the contents of the canned coconut milk into the mixer.
- This mousse can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. I separated the mousse evenly into mason jars that I just covered with plastic wrap.
- If you don’t have a stand mixer then you can also whisk this up using a large bowl and a handheld mixer. It may just take a few more minutes. A great arm workout nonetheless.
- My favorite toppings for this are berries and shaved chocolate!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: American