This Healthy Breakfast Sandwich is so satisfying and is the perfect recipe to fuel you through your day! Make them ahead, freeze them, or even take one on the go! This is an easy recipe you can have ready for your family all week Long!
- Cooking spray or 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 white onion – diced
- 5 oz fresh spinach
- 6 large eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 6 English muffins – sourdough or whole wheat
- 6 cheddar cheese slices
Cook the veggies
- Heat up a skillet over medium-low heat, spray the pan with cooking spray or add the olive oil. Once hot, add the chopped onions, cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add in the spinach and toss. Cook until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove and let cool .
Prep the egg mixture
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, crack the eggs and egg whites and whisk well for about 30 seconds. Add in the milk + salt & pepper and whisk.
- Add the shredded cheddar cheese, cherry tomatoes and cooked, cooled spinach mixture to the eggs and lightly mix to combine it all together.
Bake the eggs
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and spray a 9-by-13 baking pan with cooking spray. Spray it well so that the eggs do not stick to the pan. Pour the egg mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the eggs are set and firm in the middle. Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
Build the breakfast sandwiches
- While the eggs are cooking, you can slice and toast the English muffins. Slice the English muffins and spread them onto another baking sheet. Place them into the oven where the eggs are baking and toast them for 10 minutes. After 7 minutes, top the bottom halves of the muffins with the slices of cheddar cheese and place back in the oven for the final 3 minutes to melt the cheese. Remove.
- Use a round glass, top of a mason jar, or round cookie cutter to cut the eggs to fit the muffins. To do this To do this, you want to place the round item (noted above) over the eggs and firmly press down and wiggle it a little. You may need to run a knife around the edges to release it. Pull some of the egg away and lift the circle of egg you cut using a small spatula or pie server.
- Place the cut eggs onto one half the English muffins and top with the other half or place the eggs onto the half with the cheese and top with the remaining side of the muffin. You can even eat them open face style
- To cook the eggs, you want to use a 9-by-13 baking sheet since it is the perfect size for this recipe. You want to make sure to spray the baking sheet well with non-stick cooking spray so the eggs don’t stick to the pan.
- You can mix up the veggies and use steamed broccoli, roasted red bell peppers, mushrooms or even roasted butternut squash.
- Add some more protein like cooked sausage or ground turkey to the egg mixture before you cook it. You could even add some turkey bacon to the sandwiches when building them.
- If you don’t have English muffins then you can use bread and just cut the eggs into rectangle size pieces to fit the bread. Use the same method as the recipe to toast the bread and melt the cheese.
- Save the remaining baked egg for a quick snack or for quesadillas.
- See post for storing and reheating instructions.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 25
- Category: healthy breakfast
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: american